When should a baby be able to put themselves into a sitting position?

My 7 month old son can sit just fine unsupported. I believe he is even working on learning to crawl. Hwever he still can not pull himself into a sitting position. When should I expect this?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 2:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter started doing it around 6 months and she is 7 months now. She was sitting by 4 months then learned to roll over and get herself back up. Once he gets the motion down for it by getting himself into a crawling position then he will learn to get into the sitting position. My daughter learned that then started crawling about a week later and shes been crawling for 3 weeks now.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think Anabelle was able to get herself into a sitting position around nine or ten months. It took her a while, she crawled at seven months and sat up unsupported at five months.. it just took her longer to be able to get herself to sitting without my help.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son just learned how to put himself into the sitting position from crawling. He's 10.5 months. He can also put himself into the sitting position from standing up, holding onto furniture.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think it all depends on the child. When they are ready they will do it. My oldest started crawling at 6 mo. and walking at 10 mo. My youngest didn't start crawling until around 10 mo. or walking until after she was one.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 10:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009