Polytheists (No bashing or disrespect, please!)

If you're polytheist (or duotheist, henotheist, etc) what role do you think the gods and goddesses play in the world? Do you believe that all goddesses are facets of one goddess, and all god are facets of one god? Or that all "godesses of love" are one goddess of love known by different names (soft polytheism)? Or that each deity is a separate, individual Being (hard polytheism)? Are the gods simply archetypes for understanding a Greater Divine, and not literally real themselves?How did polytheism become what made sense to you?
(Please only answer if you have an answer or and idea; if you can't be respectful then refrain from replying.)

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 2:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess I am what you would call a "hard" polytheist... I believe that each civilization had their own gods because these gods chose those people... Now that we are all mixed they are all available to us but the ones that rule our ancestors are going to be the ones that we have the strongest bonds with. I believe that they is ONE great god and ONE great Goddess... Their children make up the individual "lesser" gods that made up all the world religions. I believe that this Great God and Great Goddess are responsable for the creation of all, and that they continue to rule over all, but that the "lesser" gods also have a hand. To me this is what makes each and every religion valid... And why while most religions had various gods who all had different aspects they didn't neccesarily match, because they are actually all different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I see it like a male energy and a female energy.
    They can work seperate but combined is when it all connects and becomes as it should be.

We might pray to one over the other for particular reasons because they each have different strengths.

But boiled down...one god, one goddess.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Many Gods and Goddesses each with different aspects and the one Great God and Goddess. We pray invoke or evoke the pantheon that has strength in the aspects that we area seeking.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm a hard polytheists, in that all the deities exist as separate individuals. However I use a loose definition of what constitutes a God, in so much that they can be aspects or archetypes or that they are just energies that we can tape into or even that they are concrete beings and are a part of the natural world. I have found that there is great multiplicity in what the Gods are, almost to the point I wonder if morphing is just second nature to them. lol The role they play depends on how a person views them and allows them into their lives. For most Gods I feel that they have little to do with moral life because mortal life has nothing to do with them.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• How did polytheism become what made sense to you?

From my own experience and from getting tired of trying to fit everyone else's beliefs in a box, ie. my own personal world view. I got a bigger box and guess what, everyone fits with minor modifications. That's said a bit tongue in cheek, but it really comes down to the things I've experienced and how I've interpreted it. The Gods come off to me as strongly individualistic.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• hard polytheist

How did polytheism become what made sense to you?

I found an article that compared reconstructionism to neo-paganism in terms of conservative vs liberal. It made it all click, and let me put my finger on what had always bothered me about the idea of paganism. I knew I wasn't going to tolerate any abrahamic faith, but too much of paganism associated with ideas that bother me politically. Once I realized there was an option that worked both spiritually and morally without compromising, it made sense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the great answers! I believe in an impersonal force, of which we are "part and particle" - it is the Whole of everything... descriptions of the Tao or Brahma really resonate. One might also call this Goddess, but that to me refers to a more personal deity. Within the framework of this All, the Source of Being, there are personal deities, who are the gods and goddesses. They are part of the greater whole, just as we are... and just as humans are individual but interconnected, so are they. I'm mostly hard polytheist (unless it is fairly obvious that a god/dess is simply given a different name in another language, but is the same being.) I am still working out the nature of these deities, but it is making sense to me these days. The Source, I doubt I will ever understand, and I don't think it's possible to truly grasp it - this unfurling Universe is too huge for us to even imagine. The Universe is big. Very, very big.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009