Can you feed your baby pumped breast milk and formula? Do you have to pick one or the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you can do both, thats called supplementing.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, a lot of women supplement with formula if they can not pump a lot. It is fine as long as the baby doesn't get stomach issues from it
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You CAN do both, but it's much healthier to only breastfeed. However, some breastmilk is always better than none.
    Anonymous

• I fed my children both and they were fine. I took formula when we were out & about because I almost exclusively pumped. My kids were slow eaters and would take over an hour to feed at the breast, so I mostly pumped all the time because it just didn't take as long. It worked for us -- especially when I had two kids because I felt I was stretching myself too thin. But it was never a problem to feed them breast milk and bottles here & there of formula. We especially used formula when they were first born when my milk hadn't fully come in yet because they both acted like they were starving! I would breastfeed them for hours at a time and then break down & give them some formula. I felt guilty at first, but they were content after that.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Go to La Leche League's website. They have VERY detailed info and you can search for specific topics.

I understand that the younger a baby's digestion is (under 6 months or one year) the more risk there is for milk or soy allergy. So do investigate it thoroughly.

My daughter-in-law had milk-based AND soy-based formulas in her babyhood. (Her mother had complications and it was several days before her breastmilk started up.) She had a hard time with BAD dairy allergy until she was 5 or 6. Non-organic dairy still gives her cramps. She is also allergic to soy.
    When pregnant, she faced the challenge of getting enough calcium. Then, her baby would get diarrhea from her breastmilk if she herself ate dairy! It has been a long road for her, and I would not wish that on any child of mine.

So, research it fully - your child's future is affected by your choices. Choose your child needs over a job. A few years with less money.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, you can do both. Check out "Combination Feeding" at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

Formula is just an artificial substitute for bresatmilk.  If you have enough breastmilk, then you can give 100% breastmilk.  If you don't have enough you can supplement with formula.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Thanks for all your help. This is my first pregnancy, i'm absolutely terrified.
    Anonymous

• yep you can do both, people do it all the time. There are groups on here that will inform you on all that
    Anonymous