• In the Spotlight:

4 month old with horrible cough

My 4 month old has a horrible cough that is waking her up. I could really use some advice or suggestions on what other parents have found that works. So far I have tried the humidifier with vicks, sitting in the bathroom with lots of steam. I noticed that she coughed a lot more when she was laying flat, when I just pick her up from bed and when she's awake. I bring her to the doctor, he said she has a cold. But she cry every time she cough, i am so worry. please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try using a cool mist humidifier as well and elevate her in the crib. Put a pillow under the mattress to keep her head up so it drains out and not down into her chest. Our daughter needed an inhaler to help her because her cough got so bad. Have they checked for RSV? That was our first sign was a cough that wouldn't go away that got worse and worse. They said the vicks vaporizer and a cool mist and within a week it went away.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i don't know if this really helps coughing or not but my 7 month old has a cold like this too and the dr told me to keep cleaning out his nose with one of those nasal bulb things. my son hates it but he always breathes better afterwards
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Put a pillow under her mattress to make it slope up - you are right that a cough is irritated more when lying flat. If it were me, I would just hold her on my chest while lying back in an armchair or couch. This will help her sleep better, and the more rest she gets, the better and more quickly she can deal with the illness.

This will also keep her warmer - which is important.

Another curious thing - I'm not sure why it works, but it REALLY does: heat on the tummy. Use your hand made warm by a hot water bottle or a microwaved cloth sack with rice in it - whatever. An older child/adult can just have the hot water bottle or warmed rice sack right ON their stomach, but an infant is more delicate, so I would use my own extra-warm hand.

For some reason, this actually lessens the cough !

Generally, keep her warm - head, feet and legs covered with a cotton or wool hat & clothing, and swaddled. Swaddling is important.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2009