What do you really think of SpongeBob?

My son is only 3.5 years old and I haven't heard the greatest things about SpongeBob so he doesn't watch it. If it does come on, he tells me to change the station! I have never personally even watched 1 episode, but if you have, CLUE ME IN PLEASE!!!

TylersMama05

Asked by TylersMama05 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• its just incredibly stupid, ya know how most cartoons teach something or a lesson of some type. i've never felt that they get the "lesson" across if there is one. its just dumb, i can't stand it, if it comes on t.v my daughter asks me to change it too (shes about the same age) i guess the colors and characters don't catch their attention. if shes going to be watching t.v. i'd much rather have it be something where she actually gets something out of it. not just crap
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I never saw anything wrong with it. I can't undestand all the uneccessary drama.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't care for it as well, but it is the parent who decides what is okay for their child/children to watch.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• T.V. is for a escape from reality, what do you expect? I watch movies with no point that are just humorous. Why can't my kid watch something like that? I happen to like "Meet the Fockers" and There's Something about Mary" and "American Pie". Pointless, humor. Same thing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't think anyone is telling you what to watch Bradenls., relax. It is your choice as to what you watch.
    Anonymous

• I said, I don't know why mom's think their kid shouldn't watch it because it doesn't have a lesson. Can't kids have a break from all the lessons? And just have nonsensical fun? Just outright fantasy humor with no point to it?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• as an ex fan of spongebob.. it's not too bad. i wouldn't personally let my daughter watch it at that age. but maybe when she's older. i guess i could kinda compare it to ren&stimpy-if you'd like to compare animation.. it does have it's "dirty" moments.. and they're becoming more common.

but after choosing to stay away from it for the most of my pregnancy and then coming back... i found that i just COULD NOT stand it. it's just so stupid. it's breaks the brain. O__o.

but overall.. it's not TOO bad. just.. really really STUPID. i'm being as honest as i can here. it can be ok.. maybe the earlier episodes.. the later ones.. i'd avoid.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 3:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• *but yea, i also agree with BradenIsMySon. it's not totally disgraceful.

i think you should just watch it on your own one day, or even a few times.. and see what you think. then decide for yourself whether or not you'd like your son watching it.

i would watch spongebob before a lot of that stuff on the disney channel.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 3:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I let my 22 month old son watch spongebob. I don't see anything wrong with him at all. I used to hate him but got over it. It's a show they can watch to laugh at.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I just find it inane and mind-numbing. I don't despise it but I avoid watching it whenever possible.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 3:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2009