How can you prevent stretch marks during pregnancy and get rid of them afterward?

I've read that if getting stretch marks is already in your genes then you'll get them. I'm sure there has to be products or things you can do to reduce them.

How long after you give birth do they fade?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• with my daughter i used palmers lotion and oil and didn't get stretch marks except for on the underside of my breast. with my son so far its the same. the ones on my breasts faded after about 6 months though, and my mom had stretch marks (she also had 5 kids and was very overweight until about 10 years ago so that prolly contributed) but i have heard that if they run in your family you are more likely to get them, and that there isn't anything you can do about it. that may be the case, but you can bet i'm using that palmer's lotion and oil this time around too
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• you cant get rid of them , they fade over time.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Stretch marks fade over time. Use some sort of cocoa butter lotion and apply it after you shower EVERY time you shower. Thats the best time to put on lotion. But apply it twice a day anyways.

Some people get stretch marks no matter what but the lotion helps. I've only gotten stretch marks on my butt (luckily where a bathing suit bottom would cover).
    Michele_Lynn

Answer by Michele_Lynn at 3:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I use Palmers Coco Butter Massage Lotion or the Cream. It worked for my son and I am using it again this pregnancy and so far nothing. Knock on wood.

If you use the coco butter put it on day and night and use circular motions. The lotion lasts a little longer than the cream and you can both at Wal-Mart. I was hoping I could get a big bottle from Sam's but I yet have found it there. My Husband says I put too much on lol. I have OCD.

I also used it after the birth of our son and the only stretch marks I can see are on my thighs, I had them before pregnancy and I got them on my boobs.

They also have a butter cream, called something like that and to me it is really greasy, so I passed on that one.

Good Luck!
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 3:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i use cocoa butter lotion every morning after my shower and again in the evening. I still have stretch marks from my first but its not getting any worse.... hopefully mine will fade after this one is born... but the lotion definantly helps!
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 4:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The first pregnancy I used cocoa butter and then I went and bought all these expensive lotions I would see in baby magazines. I got really really huge with my son. He was a big baby and got stretch marks around my belly button and hips. They are not deep however and did fade. Now that I am pregnant again I am using vitamin E oil and Virgin Coconut oil. I just swap them every other day. I read that Vitamin E oil is aweome for prevention. I really do think its just your genes.. I believe if I hadn't have rubbed down with my last pregnancy they would have been a lot worse. I got lucky though because I didn't get any on my sides so those cute mono kinis covered them up. I just hope they continue to not get on the sides so I can continue to feel good in something besides a one piece!! Hubby says I can get a tummy tuck though once we are finished having children!! :)
    KylonsMom

Answer by KylonsMom at 5:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I applied food grade vitamin e as my belly got bigger and bigger...I had no marks afterward.
    Ms.Upinyourface

Answer by Ms.Upinyourface at 5:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Stretch marks are genetic, so to speak. Lotions won't help, but it won't hurt. The marks aren't superficial, so lotions just don't do anything (besides make your skin soft and smell good). Some fade, others don't. Again, genetics. I have some on my boobs but my belly was spared (thank goodness!).  But, like I said, it doesn't hurt to lotion and everyone likes soft skin =)  Just don't spend extra money on "special" lotions for stretch marks.

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• TUMMY BUTTER I had no strech marks! I swear by it. It has coco butter and vitamin E the best of both worlds. Apply it as offten as you want or can.
    TRmama

Answer by TRmama at 8:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i have stretch marks too on my but lol from my first and i used avon stretch mark cream it doesnt completly go away but it is fading away so im satisfied lol. if anyone is interested you can go to this website i sell avon and lol ill try to give you a discount on your first purchase since you guys are like my family lol. www.yourAvon.com/Fthabateh i know a lady that ordered three already she must love it.
    mommieschildren

Answer by mommieschildren at 3:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2009