Starting naps once a day

When did you start to give your lo naps only once a day? I posted earlier on how my dd only had one nap and slept great during the night so today I am only going to give her one 2-3 hour nap (she is used to 2 2hour naps so I'm going to gradually lower the time). When and how did you make the transition?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 3:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think my daughter was about 11 months, maybe later. i really don't remember. it was more she did it on her own, she just wouldn't fall asleep and if she did it would only be for like 20 mins. so i started putting her down for one nap later in the day. but make sure it is at a time that won't affect her sleep at night. my daughter can't go down for a nap after 2 b/c then she won't go to bed until like 11.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I just let my son sleep whenever if was tired..he made his own transition.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My ODS did it on his own at 16 months. I wouldn't try force 1 nap on her if she isn't ready for it. It could make for an un-needed power struggle and a cranky baby.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I followed my DD's lead. She would either take a morning nap and then not take an afternoon nap, or she'd sleep in and we'd be out and she'd stay awake until around 1 and then nap. It got pretty consistent that she would pick one nap or the other, so we've started to keep busy in the morning and let her sleep all afternoon. She's 11 months, and this started a couple weeks ago.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son just stopped on his own one day. However its always been a fight to get him to nap at all, even as an infant. he's only 17 months old and will take 1 1 hour nap a day.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think she is ready for it. she wasnt all that cranky today before I put her down for a nap, and now that she awoke from her 2hr nap she is quite delightful! I've been able to do things she hasn let me do in awhile, like clean clean. I cleaned my whole bathroom, which was a disaster, and half of my 2nd living room, a mess and catch all. they only reason I stopped is because I am 5 months preggers and I started to get really bad belly pains!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My daughter was about 14 months when she dropped to one nap a day. I let her lead and didn't force her to drop one. By 18 months, most kids have dropped to one nap. That nap usually starts out short - less than 1.5 hours - but it gradually gets longer during the toddler years and then tappers back off as they drop that last nap.

Keep in mind that the old wives tale of getting a child super tired - either with lots of activitiy or by dropping naps - to get them to sleep better at night is just that... an old wives tale. It does NOT work. If your daughter stays pleasant and happy up to bedtime, if she goes to bed easily, then she's getting the right amount of daytime sleep. If she is grouchy or hyper by bedtime or fights going to sleep, she needs that nap.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2009