How do you feel about stem cell research?

I found this snip-it and thought I'd ask if after reading it, would this change your mind on stem cell research?

WASHINGTON – Scientists seeking taxpayer money for embryonic stem cell research under President Barack Obama's new plan must use cells originally culled from fertility clinic embryos that otherwise would be thrown away.
That's the word from the National Institutes of Health, which is issuing draft guidelines Friday on steps scientists must take.
The guidelines rule out more controversial research — using stem cells taken from embryos created just for science — in favor of a limit with broad congressional support.
The public gets a month to comment on the guidelines, before final rules are issued by early July.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090417/ap_on_re_us/med_stem_cells

So, now....How do you feel about stem cell research?

*I know this can be a touchy subject ladies. Please, keep it civil!

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I say why not? They're going to be thrown away. Why not get some use out of them to better medical science? I honestly don't get why people are so upset about it. What if that research saved your child's life?
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Worms....everywhere....look out
    Anonymous

• I'm for it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• 100% for it.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 3:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am all for it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm all for it. 100%!!

My mother in law is said to have been a wonderful women. I know her death greatly affected all those that knew her. I didn't have the chance to meet her. She died of ALS a few years before I met my husband. He watched her loose control of her body and slowly, painfully lose her life. There was no treatments at the time and today are still very few. And no cure! But they are doing great work with Stem cells and finally there are clinical trials that are actually helping ALS victims! Stem cell research could change the way we see illnesses like ALS, Parkinsons and even some cancers... Why would anyone be against it?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have no problem with stell cell research.

I have a problem with embryonic stem cell research (and yes, I do also have a problem with embryos that are created and then not used as well. We would have nothing to throw out if we didn't bother to create embryos we KNOW would be wasted in the first place). First of all, embryonic stem cells can fix problems but they also have a high-probability of causing cancer. I thought that embryonic stem cell research was a dead topic (no pun intended) by now because we've since found other stem cells which are much safer to use to cure illness.

The fact is, an embryo is a complete set of human DNA. It is the entire human package in it's most infant form. Testing an embryo is human testing and experimentation. That's a dangerous road that I DO NOT want the scientific and medical communities to go down.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm all for it. We would still be in the medical dark ages if we listened to the fears of the uneducated or religious when it comes to medical advancement.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Sorry. I'm still morally against it. Use adult stem cells.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• duckigrrl:
    Embryonic stem cells are stem cells in an embryo. They can develop into a wide range of cell types.

Scientists have found that a few stem cells persist even after birth; those are adult stem cells. Most adult stem cells can form a limited number of cell types.

Adult stem cells have some advantages. When they come from your own body, your immune system will probably not try to reject them. And adult stem cells aren't controversial. But there are three main disadvantages to using adult stem cells:

Adult stem cells aren't able to form all types of cells, so their use may be limited.
    Adult stem cells are rare among the body's billions of cells, so they're hard to find.
    Adult stem cells take a long time to grow.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/stem-cells-faq-9-questions-answers
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009