Is it normal for a toddler to stangle house pets?

I have a 2 year old daughter and we recently got a maltese dog. She and the dog seem to be best friends but occasionally I notice she will take time out of her playing to strangle the dog. Last night I noticed her squeasing so hard that
SHE was shaking! We also have a cat but I have never noticed her hurting him more then the normal pulling the tail and lifting by the head stuff. I am just wondering if it is normal for her to hurt the dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know if it is normal, but I would definately work on discouraging that and encouraging loving the dog, hugs, petting, being easy. My son used to occasionally wrap his hands around the cat's neck, I think it was more to get a hold of the cat than it was to hurt it.. he doesn't do it anymore.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes it is normal. Try and teach her to be gentle.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• yeah its definitely normal. my son throws his toys and hits our dog. hes starting to get better now cuz i cracked down on him about it though.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Ummm, don't let it be normal. Discipline her and teach her that she must be gental with the dog...
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• idk about normal, t hats not the issue. The issue is it should not happen and you as the parent have to prevent it from happening. Animals need to be protected, yes even from young children. You can start by NEVER leaving your pet alone with the kid and encourage gentle POSITIVE behavior and treatment by helping your child.
    This is why alot of reputable breeder are leery of placing small/toy breeds with families with young children.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• And usually small kids (toddlers) aren;'t trying to be hateful or hurt the animal at all. They just don't understand that animals hurt just like they hurt
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My 3 year old does the same thing . so we have to watch her every time shes with our cat. she hugs him to hard and pinches him to. so yes small children do do this. you just have to keep on them and tell them that there hurting the animal.
    MOM04LIFE

Answer by MOM04LIFE at 4:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No, that's not normal. The first time they do that you make it very clear it is absolutely unexceptable and will not be tollerated. I don't understand why a child would even try this.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 5:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes it is normal. When my daughter was 2 we got a puppy, she would actually try to sit on him and ride him! It took a little time for her to get that she couldn't do that to the puppy and that it hurt him.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• you arent suppose to let that kind of thing happen. my daughter tries to pull our pets ears and tails and stuff but i am always there to stop her. you have to be careful, not only can she hurt the dog but the dog could get fed up with her and bite. never leave pets and kids alone

sarahrm

Answer by sarahrm at 11:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009