Should I just go straight from diapers to underpants?

Should i just go straight from diapers to underpants (or nude) and let my ready-to-be-trained son have a couple accidents until he learns to go potty? I have read and kind of agree that pull ups are too much like diapers for little kids to understand the difference and their purpose. What do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's what we did...cleaning up pee and poop a few times is worth it!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I did that. We have hardwood floors in our house so it wasn't a big deal when he had an accident. I have never heard anyone who was successful with pull-ups. My son can pull his diapers down like his underwear if he is wearing those and wants to go potty. We just let him run around without a diaper and use underwear. He eventually was able to get the point and was tired of changing his undies. It can't hurt to try.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I've never used pullups on either of my boys. They went straight to underwear that they picked out themselves. I agree, i think pullups are too much like diapers.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I used underwear under plastic training pants. It will hold in the pee but still be uncomfortable enough for your child to want to be dry. You just have to put your child in the bathtub to change them because the pee will pour out like a tidal wave. I used Pull-Ups only at night or if going away from home for a lengthy time. I liked the plastic pants on this site because they were so cheap: http://www.babybestbuy.com/dappi-vinyl-diaper-pants-pack-380.html. They have vinyl & nylon pants and even have training pants with cotton built-in, but I preferred the underwear with the pants over them.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes thats what I would do...your child will be more aware of whats going on and will be more likely to use the potty.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I used underwar that way they feel the wetness. I did use pull up for night time with my last child. she was potty trained during the day but at night she didn't know she was peeing .so it was pullups or me changing the bed sheets and her every morning. And thats not fun.
    MOM04LIFE

Answer by MOM04LIFE at 4:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, yes, yes. Pull-ups are just like diapers. We did diapers for nap and bedtime because she was only 19 months and wasn't waking up dry, but that didn't keep her from training very quickly during the day... Be prepared for accidents.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• YES! Pull ups ARE diapers!!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009