how do I get my 2 year old to sleep better @ night?

my 2 year old doesn't sleep very well @ night. he wakes up 10 million times a night wanting his cup. I know it is bad to give him a cup @ night, but sometimes that is the only way he will go back to sleep. he don't fall asleep with it though. he drinks what he wants then hands it back to you. he has alot of energy & is going through the terrible two's. so any help would be appreciated.

BLONDEGURL75024

Asked by BLONDEGURL75024 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son's used to be the same way. i just give him his sippy when he goes to bed.. not because it comforts him, he just gets thirsty at night! i know i do too. i don't really see anything wrong with it.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• As long as it is water in the cup it should be fine.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 8:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son has similar issues. I have done everything in the book to get him to sleep at night.... night light, music, toy in his bed, book in his bed, stuffed animal, even ignoring him... nothing works. he has had the same bedtime routine at night since he has been born, dinner, bath, storybook, bed. I think some kids just don't sleep through the night. and unfortunately we will just stay tired parents.
    MsStride

Answer by MsStride at 9:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My two year old has a sippy cup of water next to her bed. There's nothing wrong with that. I can hear her wake up, suck some down, and go back to sleep. Perhaps you could try that, and then he wouldn't need you. I get thirsty at night, too, so I don't think it's an issue.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2009