My son won't eat rice cereal. What more can I do?

I've been trying to feed my 9 month old son rice cereal for like 4 months now and I've mixed about every baby food flavor out there into it, but he still refuses to eat it. However he will eat baby food by itself. Is it bad that he won't eat it? HELP!

Chancesmom429

Asked by Chancesmom429 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your son doesn't have to eat rice cereal. You can offer him oat cereal and see if he'll eat it, or try cream of wheat. My son wouldn't touch rice cereal, and I just fed him fruity baby foods for a while, until his teeth started coming in.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• There is no law that says you have to eat rice cereal. In fact millions of humans have survived without so much as a bite :-)
    Commercial, iron-fortified cereals are often the first foods served to babies who are not breastfeeding because they need the extra iron, but breastfed babies are rarely anemic as the iron in human milk is well-utilized. If there is concern about the baby's iron levels, a simple test can be done in the doctor's office.
    Whole grain cereals, breads and crackers are the most nutritious. Wait until later in the year before offering wheat products. If you use cereals, make sure that they only have one ingredient and use either water or your own milk/formula for mixing. Many mothers prefer to let their older babies chew on a hard bagel or an end of bread instead of sugary teething biscuits.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Rice cereal isn't something they HAVE to eat. My son stopped eating rice cereal at about your son's age, only because I didn't think it was necessary anymore. He was eating the thicker Gerber Stage 3 foods, plus Puffs or Lil Crunchies.

The reason I was giving him rice cereal was to thicken the Stage 2 foods, which tend to be kind of runny. This helped keep him full. But if your child won't eat the rice cereal, just give more baby food, maybe give two different kinds.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Don't give it. It has hardly any nutritional value anyway. We only use it to thicken his foods if they are too runny... otherwise he doesn't get it.
    you could try Oatmeal... my son likes that way more and he gets it for breakfast.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• What Maggiemom said. At 9 months old, if he's successful at eating other foods, I wouldn't even worry about rice cereal anymore. Many moms stop rice cereal after 6 months because their babies enjoy stage 1 fruits and veggies so much more and that's perfectly fine.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I"ll let you in on a secret. There is no reason to give "baby" food. Just give him some rice and a peice of toast now and again. He'll gum it and eat it. Would you want to eat that nasty tasteless crud?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• he doesn't need rice ceral.. jsut skip it. veggies and other are just fine.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My 10month old son won't eat it either. So I stopped trying to force him to eat it. He eats anything I eat now just cut up alot smaller. Usually for breakfast it is french toast, pancakes, cherrios, alphabits, oatmeal, or muffins.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 5:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• try the oatmeal ...
    he doesnt have to eat rice cereal
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I outright skipped cereal with my kids. It offers hardly any nutritional value. Your DS is much better off with straight baby food :)
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 5:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2009