How much weight does a baby gain in the last month of pregnancy??

I am on week 35...so aprox. 5 weeks to go right? I had an ultrasound and the baby was about 5 lbs (forgot the ounces though) I know every baby is different, I guess I'm just wondering because I've also got gestational diabetes and am afraid of giving birth to a big baby (though in that case they said a C section would be nessisary) my first born was 9 lb 8 oz and my second 8 lb 7 oz...the first one gave me problems during delivery by tearing me really bad and I needed a blood transfusion and stitches....ANYWAYS, How much weight do you think she will gain in the last 5 weeks (if everything goes normal with her)

maderacaligirl

Asked by maderacaligirl at 4:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its about on average 1/2 a lbs a week
    but ultra sound can be off by a lbs in either direction too
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• in the last 5 weeks she'll probably gain 3-5 lbs.. in the last month it's usually a lb a week. Good luck. Hope all goes well!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I've also heard/read 1/2lbs per week. But, the ultrasound is not always correct. I was told that if I made my due date that my son would be just at 8lbs. I went into labor a week early and he was 8lbs 11oz. So the above post is correct. They can be off a pound.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 4:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• im 7 months and my baby is already almost 4lbs. im hoping he wont gain too much. I was worried about the same thing with my first though. he was 7 10 when he was born... guess it just varies depending on baby.
    Ultrasounds arent always accurate though. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst! hope that things work out for you!
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 4:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The baby will gain between 1/2 lb to 1 lb every week during the last 4 weeks of your pregnancy. However, the weight the doctor gives you is a guesstimate. It is not very accurate. I was told the baby was 5 lbs at 36 weeks...then I gave birth the next week (yes, at 37 weeks) to a 7lb 5 oz girl. Also, anytime after 36 weeks is fair game for going into labor. I didn't even have my bag packed yet!!! Pack it early!

Congrats mommy.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Thanks everyone!!!
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 7:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2009