What was the one ( or more) thing that you wish someone would have told you about breastfeeding before you started?

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not to focus on the "rules" (feed every X number of hours, feed for X minutes on each breast etc.). I wish I had been told to simply watch my baby and follow their lead. I also wish I had known more about infant led attachment: http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/bla.html

Nursing is the biological norm for mothers and babies. It is a relationship that links the baby's immune system to the mother's, provides the baby with stimulation and connection while providing the mother with stress reducing hormones. It even feeds the baby.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• That MOST women CAN breastfeed. That it can be hard in the beginning, but it gets easier. That MOST meds are pretty safe to take.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• That it was WAY harder than it looks to start with and that pain is not normal (the kind that makes you want to cry)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• That if you get cracked nipples (WHAT??) from an improper latch it can take a couple weeks to heal and that it will hurt every time you bf but you have to still do it!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i wish i had been told that it wasn't easy and like any skill, it takes practice but it's well worth it. and not to worry what other people said about breastfeeding because either way you go you will have a certain number of people who don't approve.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 4:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• How hard it is the older they get. My DD gets so distracted by every noise, person, ect. when she's trying to eat and she won't sit still and she scratches and hits me while she eats (i tried mittens & she takes them off).
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 5:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• That pumping 3oz at a time was great. I for some reason, thought I should have been pumping like at least 4oz at a time. I wish they would've told me that I would feel like a zombie all the time.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• To seek help when I needed it! BF'ing can be trying...but mothers who have successfully bf their babies can be AMAZING resources!
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 5:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• NOT to nurse with your mil (or any other opinionated woman) in the room until you get the hang of it. I hated all the little suggestions they would make that would just upset my baby. It wasn't helpful or constructive at all.

You can figure out nursing on your own, and it's easier to do it that way. Only ask for help if you need it or else you will get a lot of contradicting opinions. (Unless you're wanting to ask a lactation consultant, in that case go for it! But know that they can be a little opinionated as well).
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• To feed on demand rather than the strict every two hours schedule for 10 or more minutes on each side every feeding... My daughter has always had more of her own time schedule and her entire length of feeding equals 10 minutes or less each time. She is a very quick eater and definitely does not nurse for 10 minutes on each side. Go with your instincts, you know if your baby is getting enough and how often to feed him/her.
    mama2be2009

Answer by mama2be2009 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009