Why do moms say they have a gun for home protection when:

1.) There'sa trigger lock on the unloaded gun

2.) The gun is locked in a child-proof box

3.) The box is hidden at the back of the top shelf in the bedroom closet

4.) The bullets are locked in a separate box

5.) The box of ammo is out in the garage

What kind of protection is that when you can't get to the gun or use it in less than a MINIMUM of 15 minutes?

pagan_mama

Asked by pagan_mama at 4:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have my dogs to warn me there is trouble so that I can have the time to get to the gun.
    Anonymous

• I cant speak for them, but my dad always kept his strapped to the back of his nightstand loaded. So if anyone were to ever break in in the middle of the night, it was easy access. He taught all of us kids (6 of us) gun safety at a very young age. His .45 was always accessible to us, but because we knew what it was for, what it can do, etc, we never once touched it. Making something taboo will only interest a child more.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i can load a shot gun very fast . ours isnt hard to get to for us just little people cant. i grew up hunting so ya i can handle a gun quickly and yes it is protection if someoen wants to break in to our house ill shoot them
    Anonymous

• I don't have a gun, I have a dog. You make excellent points though-

You really can have a gun just because you want one. It's a Constitutional right.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I haves always wondered that too. That's why I don't care for a gun. If I can't have it sittin out when I need it, then I don't really need one. I got a big ass curved knife on top of my snake cage for protection tho, lol.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 4:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Except for #5, none of those sounded like they would take very long to get the gun loaded to use to me actually.

We're not just talking about burglars that surprise us in the middle of the night. Some people have wild animals that come onto their property. Some people might notice suspicious people loitering in their neighborhood. Some people simply want their guaranteed rights (the right to bear arms and the right to form a militia against the government if the government should ever go awry-which would require you to have weapons) upheld. Either way, there are a lot of scenarios that would cause you to want to have a gun on premises which wouldn't necessarily require you to have a gun locked-and-loaded at all times.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• We have a gun and none of the above applies to ours, it's loaded at night and unloaded in the morning, and would take a total of 10 seconds to laod it if something happens during the day. We also have 2 90lb German Shepherds in the house....
    Anonymous

• Well, they could dig them out and throw them at an attacker.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well I live in Texas and we have a gun in our house loaded with the saftey on, on the top shelf in the closet closest to the front door. lol nobody knows about it but the family and yeah I do think that it is VERY stupid to have all that crap locked up seperatley because your right, by the time you get all the keys out to unlock everything and the gun loaded, you will be dead!
    Anonymous

• Thats a good question. And what if the attacker shoots the dog first?
    Anonymous