Fear of Bathes?

My 9 month old has loved taking baths since I can remember. She sits in a summer infant bath tub, and I put that bath tub into the large bath tub so she has support. For the past few nights, while she goes in fine, when she even sees me holding the soap bottle (johnson's no tear body wash - nothing weird), she goes hysterical - I mean, stiffening her back and crying, and if I didn't catch her, she would go backwards in the water and be submerged. I have no idea what has set her off. I thought maybe while washing her hair the other night, some water got in her eyes, but she is scared of the soap, and the soap shouldn't have hurt her eyes. Any ideas? The first night this happened, once my husband showed her the soap bottle, and let her watch him walk out of the bathroom with it, she was fine. She didn't particularly enjoy the rest of the bath, but the wailing and back arching stopped. Thoughts?

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 4:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little one did that and I honestly didn't understand it either. I just bought the disposable washcloths that already have soap in them. It made bath time a lot easier.
    Anonymous

• That is weird. Just put the soap in the water before you bring her in there and hide the bottle.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Kids do the strangest things! Sometimes they just get something in their head that will never really be understood. Just go with it. Try putting the soap in a different bottle or getting the disposable wash clothes.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well I posted a couple weeks ago about my 9 month old hating baths that she used to love. I dont know if this suggestion would help you, but I know when she wouldnt take a bath I was open to ANY suggestion. I started letting her stand in a dry tub and filling her baby bath tub with warm water. I turn the shower on hotter than I would normally make her baths because of the breeze and aim it at her feet. She absolutely loves her baths now and hates getting out. Maybe it will distract her from seeing the bottle? Just a suggestion! GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2009