PLEASE HELP! My 10 month old son is starting to hit...and scratch.

My worst nightmare is coming true lol, My 10 month old son has started hitting his father and I in the face....and he's scratching our faces as well. When we say "NO" and remove his hand, he does it again, and he laughs. He did NOT see us do this, and he has not seen anything to teach him to do this! Please mom's out there, any advice on how to stop this, before he's hitting everyone? There's got to be a better way then just saying " NO" and watching him laugh and do it again. Today he did it so hard he made a scratch on my face, that bled! ADVICE PLEASE!!

aidansmyheart

Asked by aidansmyheart at 4:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You just need to be firm and tell him NO! Don't be afraid to yell...he obviously feels like he can get away with this so that could be a sign that there is a lack of discipline. You can try time outs or taking toys away as well. Just be consistant with whatever punishment you choose. If you do take the time out route what worked for my cousin was a chair that had a seat belt type thing on it so he could not get up. He had to sit there for 2 mins and then hug my Aunt when she let him up. Needless to say he knows now that when she says "do you want a time out?" she means business and he better stop.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Gosh, maybe mine is behind in the game, but she would not understand a time out. I tell her No, while shaking my head and redirect her. If she is so close to your face that he is scratching it, move him away and put him on the floor with his toys. Mine has already started listening to No. The one day she was going for Daddy's glasses and I said "No" (not yelling at all) and her bottom lip popped out and she started to cry ... it was sad, but she stopped.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• sounds like he needs a spanking.
    Anonymous

• He's learning cause-effect and wants a reaction out of what he is doing. He probably doesn't understand the concept that it hurts you. I would just make it a negative experience for him so he learns that hitting and scratching have a negative effect. When he does it, I would probably take his hands and say "that's hitting. There is NO hitting" with a stern look and then set him down. He wouldn't be able to be on my lap if he was going to hit. Hopefully after doing it enough times, he would make the connection between why you were mad and set him down and his actions. Perhaps when can tell that he is about to hit, you can prevent him from hitting and do the same thing "no hitting" and set him down. Whatever it takes for him to make the association.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• WHO would spank a 10 month old baby?! ANON your sick!!!! Spanking a baby is CHILD ABUSE..you need to rethink that reply!! And to the other ladies above, thank you for the advice...he doesn't understand time out at all at his age right now, but he does know that NO means don't...but he is still doing it, even though I'm very consistent with him when he does bad, I always say NO..and I get down to his eye level and shake my head too..and I say it loud!! I guess there's not much I can do with a 10 month old right now.. Thanks ladies.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 4:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would use no and then remove him from the situation. If you's hitting or scratching you, he gets a no, then put on the floor...or in his bed, playpen, whatever...it will take some time, but eventually he will learn that being put down is the consequence if he hits or scratches you. I cant see spanking a 10 month old, they dont know that its wrong, its our job to teach them that its wrong. If your 10 month old is anything like mine, the firm no and being put on the floor would be enough to get through to him that he cant treat mommy and daddy that way.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 4:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Kids don't need to be taught to hit. Its a natural thing. He isn't doing it to hurt you.. he is jsut doing it. YOur "NO"s need to be in a firm low tone, something different from your ordinary talking. And a slap on the hand will help him register that "NO" will result in shock or pain. Babies taht young can understand the word "NO" (or more likly the voice inflection). My 9 mo old understands its.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I agree anon. I really hope you aren't spanking your baby. They are just learning things . . . what do they learn from violence?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• lol im in the same boat as you momma!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 7:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have the same issue with my 9 mos old. Saying "NO" stern or even in a louder voice does nothing at all. This is a different situation becasue we could be right the middle of playing of laughin and he gets this look in his eyes and hits I move him put him on the floor and say no and you can still see that look. When he gets into other stuff in the house he says no first as he is going to do it. If you remove him and say no he goes on his way and it is not an issue again but the hitting has been going on for weeks and getting worse. Being consistant and stern has made absolutely no change in the situation vs other situations. There is a sheer determination to do this that is different from his other behaviors. I have search online and there has been no helpful advise beside no and redirect. It is frustration and sad. I understand you totally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2010