HOW CAN I GET MY 15 MONTH OLD LITTLE GIRL TO STOP SMACKING?

MY DAUGHTER MAKAYLA HAS A PROBLEM WITH SMACKING (ESPECIALLY IN THE FACE). I HAVE TRYED EVERYTHING, TELLING HER IN A FIRM VOICE "NO" AND TIME OUT. THE ONLY THING I HAVEN'T DONE IS SMACK HER ON THE BUTT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

rlmlucky

Asked by rlmlucky at 4:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I have to say that smacking her on the butt for her smacking on the face (or wherever) is REALLY going to confuse her. I think the best thing you can do is just say "Don't hit" "That hurts mommy" or whatever. Kids do that at this age. Heck, we do it as adults! Think about the last time you got really excited about something, you did some type of smacking motion with your hand, whether it be clapping, patting on the back, tapping repetitively on something. It's a way for them to go "THHHISS. I LIKE THIS!" Don't worry, it will go away. Just reiterate with statements in as nice of a voice you can. I have three kids, and my youngest just went into this phase. Hope it helps!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 4:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I have a 15 month old boy, so I can understand the frustration behind discipline. :) I've read that sometimes it takes a dozen or more times of saying "No hitting" or time-outs or a pop on the butt to get the message through! Keep trying! I would say that saying "No hitting" and then a timeout would be the best course of action though with the hitting. Because I think it'd be hard for a child to grasp no hitting if you hit back lol. :D GOOD LUCK!
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 4:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I know that im not a mother yet but i went through the same thing with my little brother when he went trough the smacking and bitting faze personally i believe hit back not hard or violently but on the bottom and say it hurts mommy or NO
    KGDforevr88

Answer by KGDforevr88 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my son is 13 months old and he has been doing the same thing for awhile, I tell him no and put him in time out for 1 minute...I think it is finally starting to work a little bit, it will take time, I've been doing the same thing for about a month now and he's finally starting to get it. Definately do not spank, because they get confused...you're telling them not to hit and then you hit them. Just keep doing the time out thing, and be firm when you tell her no.
    puppy_love67301

Answer by puppy_love67301 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2008