WHY DO POEPLE FEEL THAT STAY AT HOME MOM IS NOT A JOB

friend22

Asked by friend22 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't know anyone that feels that way, not any women anyway, I've only heard about jerk husband's thinking this.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Because they have never done the job of SAHM.
    Anonymous

• i think some women say that out of jelousy because they can't do it, or just to make themselves feel better because being a sahm isn't for everybody.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Because they are mad they can't afford to stay home and be a SAHM, so they knock those who get to do it out of jealousy.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my husband actually has told me that. the few times he's watched the kids they behave for him cause it's a special treat. other moms whose work is outside the home during the day have told me they'd do something very very terrible if they had to stay home all day. i've told them i stay home by choice like they go outside the home each day by choice. we make do on our money how ever much it is and they make do on what ever amount is brought in to their home. i'm proud over twenty years after my first child to still be an at home mom to kids not yet adults. if you feel guilty maybe you want to get more out of your house with kids or without?
    Anonymous

• If they do, it is probably because the woman isn't being handed a paycheck for her services, getting SS and taxes withheld, and can leave the job behind every evening. She can't quit or be fired (not really true- there is divorce). She really doesn't have to perform according to anyone's standards but her own and maybe her husband's. From my way of thinking, the income brought in by the husband is her pay also. She has a particularly hard job because it is so important and it is 24 hours a day every day. Her standards should be high because she is training human beings in the way she wants them to behave and function.

Answer by Bmat at 5:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Okay... Granted it is work, no doubt about that Hon. But it is NOT A JOB unless you earn money. So, it takes work, yes, but there is no money involved.
    Anonymous

• The only people that think being a SAHM is not a job...are the folks who have never done it!

LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• because being a mom isn't valuable in society. You can't show goods or services that benafit society right away. Raising children takes years. obviously, the fruit of a mom's labor isn't seen quickly and often isn't tangable.

I have heard that if you paid a sahm for what they do it would cost around $35000 a year, and that is just for tangible services.

Also people assume that once you child is in school they don't need you any more, you can go back to work. I have an almost 14 year old and twins who are 11. They still need me.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Being a sahm is hard work, I know that, but a job is something you get paid for. There's a difference there between work and a job. I was a sahm for a while after my first child and I live in Canada so I had a year off after my second and third children, and I work in a school so I'm at home with the kids all summer. I know how hard it is to be a sahm, but I still don't consider it a job. My job is what I am desperate to go back to every fall after the kids have driven me crazy for 2 months, lol. I'm not jealous of sahm's, it's not something I could do, not only because of financial reasons, but also because I am a better mom when I have a regular break from my kids. I don't feel guilty about that, I'd feel guilty if I was constantly nagging and yelling as a sahm, which I know enough to recognise that I would be that way. Either way my opinion is that a job is something you are paid for and a sahm isn't paid.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009