Has anyone started an avocado tree?

I love avocadoes but they are often $1.oo just for one, so I stuck two pits in a glass of water last night to see if they would grow roots. Has anyone had any luck starting avocado trees like this?

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 5:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes, I have started a couple. Take the pits and stick toothpicks in the sides right in the middle like spokes on a tire then place the toothpicks on the rim of a glass of water so that the fat end of the pit is in the water. It will sprout in about 14 days. Wait until the pit has roots about 6-8 inches long before you put it in dirt and keep it outside as much as possible this summer. When you grow them indoors they get tall with a few leaves on top, but if you put them outside they will get fat and start branches. They make beautiful house trees but it takes patience. I have one know that is a little over a year old and it is only 2 feet tall.
    Anonymous

• It takes 13 months before it starts producing, but i think its well worth it, I'm going be planting some soon !
    Anonymous

• to get the fruit you have to have your tree grafted....
    http://www.avocado.org/about/growing-avocado
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009