my 4 month old baby is constipated, the dr. told me to give him oatmeal cereal, i BF so i was gonna wait till 6 mnths to start on solids, what should i do???

i dont really know if i can trust this dr. well because in my babys first month check up he told me to start on rice cereal, which to me was nuts i didnt do it because i breastfeed and that goes against it. so now my baby has been constipated and the dr. said that since i breastfeed that the babys body sucks it all up and that it needs more solid so that he can poop, but i really dont know what to do, that dr. is weird i am going to change him i just havent since he used to be my husbands dr. when he was born and he is supposed to be a really good dr. he is also good friends with my mother in law.

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doctor is giving you some seriously dangerous advice. Any doctor who advises starting solids before 6 months for any reason is going AGAINST the current research and world health organizations reccommendations.

If your son is constipated and you are breastfeeding - there is nothing you should do but wait it out and keep him as happy as possible in the mean time - do NOT give him solids, that will worsten the situation and hurt him even more.

Whatever you do- GET A DIFFERENT DOC!!!
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Um, that really doesn't sound right. Either it's a made up question or the doctor is a quack.

You need to do what is right for you and your baby. If you agree with the doctor on feeding solids at 4 months, then do it. Otherwise don't worry about it.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Giving solids to a baby that young is not necessary and it is not advised by the American Academy of Pediatrics - especially to ease constipation! Your doctor sounds like a quack. Breastfed babies usually have more loose stools than formula fed babies - everybody knows that. To ease your baby's constipation, try giving her a little bit of prune juice and a nice warm bath. Rub her tummy and push her legs up into her abdomen like she's riding a short little bicycle. But don't give her cereal - that will make her MORE constipated.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My doctor told me to give my girls infant glycerin suppositories. Just cut them in half. It helps a load and works within five minutes, maybe a little longer sometimes. I wouldn't to the oatmeal until the baby is 6 months old.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Does your child have reflux? Maybe there's more to this then what you are telling us
    Anonymous

• my doctor had my put karo syrup in my daughters bottle, maybe if you are pumping and bottle feeding you could put some in there, only about a teaspoon and shake it up a bit so it doesn't just sit at the bottom. its pretty much sugar so it goes through the system quickly and helps with that. the bicycling the legs works as well as taking temp rectally. as for your doctor, ummm i've never heard of a doc suggesting food before 6 months, especially at a one month check up. you need to change docs asap
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son doesnt have reflux he barely ever throws up. and i have tried the infant glycerin suppositories but i dont want him to get used to them. And I am seriously gonna change that dr.
    Cristy-1208

Answer by Cristy-1208 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Constant use of laxatives or suppositories to make a child go is dangerous. So please don't go that route.

Yes, the AAP is saying to hold off of solids until 6 months, for NORMAL babies with NO health problems. Early solids can still be recommended for certain probelms - including reflux and constipation. Oatmeal and barley cereals can help get things moving. I'd give them a try long before I tried meds, karo syrup, or other home remedies.

Your baby is miserable. Your doctor has suggested something that will probably help. Early solids for medical problems is not against any "breastfeeding only code". Give it a try for 4 days. See if it helps. If not, you'll know and can move on to considering meds or other options.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• When my daughter was constipated I gave her some apple juice. 1oz of juice to 1oz of water. She went and then I stopped the juice. It worked for us.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If your baby is EBF, it's unlikely that he's constipated. What are his symptoms? Regardless, solids aren't going to help the situation. EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement, as long as when the DO go, it's not dry, hard, or pellet/pebble like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2009