Am I over reacting to step sons giving my toddler a baby oppossum?

Rabies and germs is all I keep thinking. They are saying that I am a freak and paranoid nut, but my God....diseases! Would you allow your toddler to play with a oppossum? I don't want the dang thing even in my house!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• If it was a baby and you approved that would be different bu this is a wild animal who can turn on you or your daughter.They are so wrong for doing that.We had a opossum when I was little and we raised from a baby and also a raccoon but we had to turn him loose because he went wild even though we raised it from a baby.Get rid of it humanely.Turn it loose it knows what to do.good Luck
    MommyLove23

Answer by MommyLove23 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• No and No.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My husband had a raccoon when he was a kid. But my son won't be having one. I'd be worried about diseases too. Maybe it can accidentally "escape" back into the wild.

RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• GREAT idea RugersMommy. I think I will pull out some medical gloves and "return" the thing to its rightful place.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ya i would have him escape too...that way you aren't the crazy mom and you don't hurt your sons feelings. but as for the step sons how old are they? what did your husband say? i would have to kill my husband if he thought it was ok to just grab a wild animal and bring it into the house
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Step sons are GROWN freaking men; 20 years old and 25 years old. DH does not know yet, he is not home from work. They claim their grandpa actually caught it and wanted my daughter to have it. I think I am in a family of NUTS to tell you the truth.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would tell them to back off. For some reason men think it's funny to do stuff like that if it's not their kids. You have every right to be upset. Do they have their own kids? I'm betting not.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 5:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• They caught it and gave it to her?! Yuck! That thing could have all kinds of disease! I like the suggestion of letting it escape
    Anonymous

• Well, DH just got home and he too thinks that I am a paranoid freak. I think I am going to beat them all with my broom; then they will be able to say I am a witch. lol
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• They have teeth and can really bite. I would put it back outside as soon as possible. Wild animals need to be in the wild. They are not pets.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 6:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009