How can you get a 16 mo old to stop biting?

I have been watching a relatives child since Jan and she has been biting my children since then, ds is 2 and dd is 9 mo. At least 3 - 4 times a week, 1-2 times a day. At first it was hands, now it is backs, chest, stomach and today a face! Ive talked to her mom and she bites at home sisters/parents. Her mom is the type "honey we dont bite," she cries for getting reprimanded and then gets hugs n kisses.

I feel bad for my kids they should be getting bit. Im using her moms "technique"and nothing has changed in 4 mo! What do you all suggest I am at my wits end!! I kinda feel like her parents really arent doing anything because she isnt getting bit. She was bit at the prior daycare, but that was like a year ago. Her mom says it cause she was bit, I dont believe that anymore cause if that was the case my kids would be biting all the time!

HELP!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if the child is biting, you might want to put them in time out...it will take them a while to learn, but eventually they will learn...

my nephew likes to smack people across the face and he's about 16 months too and we always put him in time out..he cries..but he has pretty much stoppped...but definitly yell and tell them to go into time out
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 9:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I always bit back. if i know that their hands, face, or whatever are clean, i'll bite back. I don't care who it is. That will teach them. They don't understand what it feels like.
    Anonymous

• i baby sit my nephew and he bits my youngest all the time , he is 14 months.
    I put him in time out andhe cries but i had bitter a couple years ago and you just have to stay strong.
    on a separate note...... IF AN ADULT EVER BIT MY CHILD REGARDLESS OF REASON I WOULD KNOCK OUT EVER F*** TOOTH THEY HAD !!!
    i am not usually so mean but i cant believe an adult would say such a thing....SHAME SHAME
    dita

Answer by dita at 10:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Oddly enough, i was thinking bite them back as well. however, I would have your child bit them back. It works with dogs. HAHA!
    Anonymous

• Both my kids were biters and my grandma told me to bite them back and that worked. Not hard just enough to get the childs attention that causes pain. Its not abuse, just showing how it feels.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 11:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I Spanked my dd when she bit she doesn't do it anymore, she's 2yrs old. I was biting people til I was 7yrs old, because I was angry as a child because I was upset that I was told by my parents that I wasn't wanted, and honestly im still a little angry 2 this very day, but my point is this: is the child possibly acting out of anger cuz of something happening in they're life?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2009