Where is your state's money coming from?

All these threads from people who think they know where the money comes from. Employers pay in via payroll tax to a state unemployment fund. Employees pay nothing. Right now, the state programs are going broke. Here's the states that are receiving Federal Aid (that means your money) to cover the shortfalls in their employer-paid unemployment insurance programs:
Arkansas$17.9 million
California$1.1 Billion
Indiana$584.9 million
Kentucky$153 million
Michigan$1.6 Billion
Missouri$87 million
New Jersey$139.1 million
New York$878.9 million
North Carolina$286 million
Ohio$531 million
Pennsylvania$29.8 million
Rhode Island$11 million
South Carolina $203.3 million
Wisconsin$207.8 million

So where is your state's money coming from - the federal government or taxes on employers? That list of states will grow, btw, as more stimulus money is doled out.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• China.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• We are begging from the Feds at the moment. Thank Bob our gov will be gone soon, maybe we can get someone with more brain and less ego.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• So what is your point? Are you trying to put people on employment in their place? To make sure that they know for a fact that what they are getting is similar to welfare?
    Anonymous

No, but perhaps if you are that insecure you should seek counseling. My point is all these people insisting that they paid their own money into unemployment, which is absolutely not true, and then complaining that others want a say in how it's handed out when it's not their money, which is also not true. So I'm asking people to spend a whole 20 seconds Googling or looking at that list to see where the money comes from, the employers or the federal government, and then reassess if they should be so upset about people wanting a say in how their federal tax dollars are used.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• taht is crazy ... im am really surprised to not see nevada on there yet lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No, but perhaps if you are that insecure you should seek counseling.

umm, insecure about what? Im not on unemployment or welfare. I was just expressing my curiosity the same you were with your Original question.
    Anonymous

• I don't think unemployment is the same thing as PA. It is given to people that LOST their job, not people that just didn't have one.

I do think it should only be given out for a limited amount of time. Long term unemployment doesn't help anyone. What is needed are jobs!

Government money would be better spent by not spending it. One of the reasons so many jobs have gone overseas is regulation and taxes. I am a small business owner and I am in business to make money. It's easy for me to see why jobs go overseas. The more the government sticks its nose into business and the more they tax the fewer jobs there will be.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• hey, oregons not on their! yay us!
    Anonymous

• People are being laid off all over the place with no hope of finding a job any time soon. Many will qualify for emergency unemployment benes, but I don't mind. Especially if there are no jobs in their area. It's expensive to relocate and I doubt many businesses will be all that willing to pay for relocation expenses in these tight times. There are a lot worse things the government is wasting money on, imo. Where I live you can only receive unemployment for a limited amount of time. Once your allotted dollar amount is gone, you're out of luck unless you can get emergency benes and even that is for a limited number of weeks.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The thing with Unemployment is it is the states fault not the person filing for unemployment. Michigan, Calfornia and Ohio are good examples of using the unemployment money from the employers during good times on other things. They never imagined the crisis that happened. However in Ohio the employees are guaranteed that money. The state basically robbed peter to pay paul and now they are suffering.

My husband is on and off unemployment. He is working to get his CDL so he can find steady work. Although he sat in the unemployment office with an engineer, a chemist and some other college degree. It is across the board in some states. Heck a nurse made the news because they called her from surgury to lay her off.

PA and Unemployment are two seperate things. The federal government is picking up the tab because some states didn't plan for the future. The employers did their part and paid what they needed to

Anonymous