Do you think income levels negatively impact friendships?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 6:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• i think if the person with higher income flaunts it off too much it could. not that they shouldn't be able to get what they want if they can. but if every time you are with the person who has a lower income you are telling them about your new toy than that may upset them. and if the person with the lower income resents you than its not going to be a good friendship. so it depends on the people and how they handle it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think only if you let it. One of my friends had alot more money then me but she was generous with it, like paying for things when we went out. She wasn't showoffy about it, when I would pull out my money she would just say "Don't worry I got it" I didn't let her pay for EVERYTHING but you know what i mean!
    Anonymous

• No, not if both friends are both mature about it..
    ..i learned if ou let yourself get offended often, its hard to enjoy the day... so i just rarely get offended .. same goes with money and who pays and who doesnt. Its something so small .. ya know?
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No i don't think so. Just don't go flaunitng your money, and dont go whining about how broke you are and there should be no issue.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 7:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• sometimes......but mostly because it makes it harder to do some things for example my dh's best friend is always asking him to go to an NBA game with him but the tickets are like 100.00per person and we cant really afford that..
    Anonymous

• I think it would be a big deal but then I've never been in that situation. For example my husband and I live in a $400 a month apartment- I can't imagine being friends with someone with a $4000 a month mortgage. KWIM? It would be uncomfortable to have them over, and it would be uncomfortable to go to their home. then again- maybe that's just the type of personality I have (I get uncomfortable pretty easily.)

If I were ever in that situation I'd try to ignore it- but I definitely wouldn't continue the friendship if I was uncomfortable around that person.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Not at all. My friendships were not made over anything to do with money. And my friends and I have all run the financial gauntlet at various times and prospered at various times. In my experience, we give to each other if we can and if it is needed. Those who are doing better don't mind footing the bill for more expensive entertainment, etc., in order to be able to enjoy time together. And those on the other side don't take for granted and find other ways to give. But we don't take each other for granted, there are no expectations, and we are honest with each other when we can't afford to participate or provide without any guilt attached on either end.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2009