• In the Spotlight:

Should people using goverment assistance have to have a drug test?

I am wondering what your opinions are on this. I recently saw an email that suggested people receiving WIC, food stamps, Cash assistance, Section 8 and other goverment help should be rquired to have drug tests. I personally am ok with that. What do ya think?

BusyB-Mommy

Asked by BusyB-Mommy at 6:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• IMO. When some people fall on hard times they find it embarassing or degrading to go and apply for assistance. I am talking those who have too much pride, or as they say "too proud to beg". So adding a drug tests to the mix might make some people shy away and the kids will be the ones to suffer. JMHO
    Anonymous

• No, I don't think a drug test for government assistance should be mandatory. I agree with the first poster that it could make even more people who are true need of help shy away from applying because it makes it that much more difficult. The paperwork is and appointments are already a pain in the butt enough as it is.
    Anonymous

• No, I do not agree with this.
    Anonymous

• i think, that if you have been on assistance for more than a certain period of time you should have to submit to a drug test. those that just fell on hard times and need it to get on their feet would not fall into that category. however those that have been on for more than say a year and a half should have to have it to requalify. if they can afford drugs they can afford to take care of their families, why should i be paying so someone else can do drugs b/c thats what some of people who get assistance do, they get it and then spend the money they would on food or whatever on drugs
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No it would cost more than it would save.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No i don't agree with it, especially for WIC as WIC is for pregnant or nursing moms and children up to age 5, neither of which would typically be using drugs. I mean yeah some pregnant women and nursing moms do use drugs but not the majority of them.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i do agree with it , i fyou have to be drug tested for most jobs then why not this .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have assistance and I agree they should druggies should not reseive assisted that is part of the reason it is difficult for some people who need it to get it. There is to much paying out to druggies.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Because when your potential employer tests you they pay for it. If everyone on PA were tested we would pay for it, including additional caseworkers to process the tests and the cost of removing kids to foster care if someone fails. Plus the fact that most street drugs leave your system in 2-3 days and there are many ways to cheat the tests. I doubt we would catch many of those who are using.

Besides what about medical mj pts? Or those on prescribed opiate pain meds?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Im so done with this question, Friday.. I pretty much agree with you on this subject, that is for sure. I was thinking the other day, if you took the hardcore drug users off their assistance, what tactics are they going to turn to to get money somewhere else? You really think just because they arent receiving welfare, theyre going to kick the habit? Nuh... you could expect crime ratings to go up because of this,
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009