What would you say to your daughtet?

What would you say to your daughter if she decided she wanted to strip so she could go back to school? She is 20 years old and married no kids and works a full time job at JC penney. Why can't she go to school at night instead of stripping? She is determone to do this and I told her I would not have any respect for her if she can't use her brain instead of her body.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would have a fit. Yes, I would probably beat the crap out of her.. but in the end, there is not much you can do mom. She is an adult. I empathize with you though, because I believe it's harder on you as they get older. When they start having kids of their own, then you have more to worry about. It never ends. Just tell her how you feel and maybe offer her an incentive if you have to... Hey, YES, I believe in bribery... Sometimes, it's the only way.
    Anonymous

• Just remember you are dumber than her until she has kids, because teenagers are always smarter than there parents......or so they think. You have given her the best advice you can maybe get some paperwork for scholarships for her to fill out and see if she is will to try for grants and that type of thing before she resorts to takin off her clothes. and as anon says bribe her if she'll go for it!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• oh I don't blame you for being so upset. Does she live with you? Do you support her and hubby in any way? Even though she's over 18 if she does either or both of those you have a right to say what you wanna say. What does her husband and inlaws say? Gosh i don't know what I'd do in that case except what you already said. Two of my kids even though they are in college I'm still supporting paying bills on. Can you ask 'for you to understand her wanting to strip, can you (daughter) go to joint counseling'? If you word it that you want to understand her with counseling instead of with out counseling blame her for a bad choice, maybe she'll go.
    Anonymous

• I would be happy that she is trying to do it on her own. I wouldn't be happy with the stripping, but would support her dicision and keep any criticisms to myself. I've known some people who have stripped to pay for school they paid there schooling savede some money and stopped they finished paying school and got set up in life a lot quicker that way and don't have loans hanging over there head. Whether your happy or not she is over 18 and will make her own choice so you can support and love her. Or possibly permently ruin your relationship over some thing that is not worth it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Doesn't have much of a husband, does she?

Tell her you are disappointed and there are consequences that will result from it. One of them is that you won’t have respect for her. It will catch up with her.

Sorry
    Anonymous

• First of all where the hell do you get off ?

This is NOT your choice. And if you can't respect your daughter just because you don't like the job she wants you are the one that's wrong...

Stripping is a highpaying and very self empoweiring job... If my kids ever wanted to, I would buy their first costume...

I've been trying to get my hubby to start stripping for years!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ha ha! thank you sabrinambowen...

i can't say i would be happy with the choice, but i wouldnt lose any respect for her.

remember she is your daughter. love her and support her. at the very least if you dont like it - protesting it may just make her want to do it more. also, if you are so against it and want her to do something else find something else that she can do and make as much or more money doing.

also, it is her life. her choices and by you telling her that you wont respect her anymore will probably just cause a big wall to go up in your relationship with her. i know i would be pretty shitty with my mom.
    Anonymous

• WHATEVER PAYS THE BILLS AND MAKES HER HAPPY I SUPPORT. NOT YOUR PLACE TO APPROVE OF OR NOT.

Answer by older at 2:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think she needs to go visit a strip club and watch how the women are treated there (not very well from what I've seen). My mom used to say don't do anything you don't want me to see or know about (pix, movies, etc). I taught my kids the same thing. You never know when pix/movies would be made and plastered on the Internet for the world to see. Would she like her children seeing them when she has kids? I am certain her husband will not want it after he sees men pawing at her and he'll start thinking she's cheating when men want her for lap dances and want to walk her to her car for a quickie (some men think dancers are prostitutes as well). I've not met many strippers who have high self esteem and self respect (don't bash me, strippers. I know some are fine with themselves). If she still respects herself after doing it then you may have to accept it. My neighbor tried to talk me into it. I went and observed and walked out.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• you rock admckenzie

Anonymous