Ok this is a statment and a question. First of all to all of you who were suppotive and helpful with attempts at trying to induce naturally rather than medically.

My baby finally came on April 6th. I am very happy and appriciate the help Thanks again. 2nd does any one know what to do if a newborn is having problems pooping.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Newborns often seem to struggle while pooping, because it's new. Its a new sensation, and it's not always comfortable. As long as the poops are not dry, hard, or pellet like, it's ok.

If you'd like help with breastfeeding, I can try and help you. What makes you think you are not producing enough? Feel free to ignore this part, if you don't want help with breastfeeding :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yay congrats!

I'd honestly call the doctor. If a newborn does not have a poo diaper at least every other day, it is reason to call the doctor. You want to make sure there weren't any digestive problems that occured in utero that weren't discovered while in the hospital (of course, I don't think that's likely. I wouldn't worry about it, just call the doc). If you think it might be a problem with gas, you might try the Mylicon drops.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Hooray! Congratulations!

Is you baby breastfed? Because it is not unusual for a BF baby not to pooh everyday.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well he has poo at least once a day but it seems to be painful to pass we just got over an issue with jaundice and the first day I brought him home he had a hard time pooping. Then it stopped and two days ago started again. I'm formula and breast feeding because I'm not producing enough milk. So I don't know if that's it and the doc says not to worry cause he is passing stools, but I don't like seeing it be so painful.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't think I'm producing enouugh milk because after one feeding on each side I return to normal cup size Then don't get bigger for 12 hrs. If I offer the breast again he will latch but it hurts really bad he'l take two sucks let go and cry. I'll squeeze my breast and nothing will come out. So I've only been able to do 2 feedings by breast in a 12 hr period. Sorry krysta I haven't checked this post since I last responded.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• This is the same thing I posted in your other question:

None of that matters. How your breasts feel, what YOU can express... none of that is important. If you nurse on demand and drop the supplements, as long as you are changing 6-8 diapers a day and baby is not losing weight, your supply is fine. The nursing on demand, and fussing at the breast is GOOD for you. It stimulates your body to make more milk. I strongly encourage you to drop the bottle, and seek out your local La Leche League. They are very helpful. I'll also answer any other questions you have to the best of my ability
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My daughter didnt poo alot when she was new.. The doctor said if she didnt poo for 4 days then I could give her a tablespoon of karo syrup in her milk or in water (whatever she will take) and it worked like a charm.. she definetly pooed after that haha.. and i use it everytime shes constipated.. I told my mom this and she said back in the olden days they used karo syrup to help babies go poo all the time
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009