Did you know that MANY of those on welfare are working?

I don't have the numbers but know that many of those who are on PA are also working.

They are not all lifers or generational. I doubt those are even the majority.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You are usually required to work it depends on how much your income is. My hubby works we get assisted, because we can't cover bills.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• in CA you have to work unless you are disabled.
    Anonymous

• Here you are required to have a job in order to receive assistance. There ARE medical exceptions like pregnancy or disability, of course.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I did know that. I tried to make a point of it in another post, I'll see if I can drag out the numbers again!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• LoL...and because I feel the need to point this out EVERY time this comes up...... No one begrudges those in NEED.  No one begrudges those who are trying.  But if even one person is abusing THAT person is a crappy person.  I just think that there could be more done to clean up loop holes for those that ABUSE the system.

Oh, and there is DEFINANTLY more than 1 person abusing the system, LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I get your point but there are those who do begrudge anyone on welfare.

I know there are those who abuse it but too many people act like everyone is.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• we get FS, and my son gets medical. my hubby works, but when the company he worked for closed last year his second job became the main, and the hours are nowhere near as good. he worked at the same company since he was 16(6 years) and was a line manager when the plant closed. i ahve been looking for months but with a small town and 11,00 people out of jobs with the plant closing their is just nothing. thank goodness we are moving to a bigger town soon.
    Anonymous

• Yeah actually I did know that. A lot of people on food stamps and government assistance are on it because they DO have a job and it DOESN'T cover enough. Especially lately. I am SO SICK of this topic being brought up.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yeah, I actually worked with a few people like that. In the hospital I worked at, the environmental services people got paid very poorly (which was pretty sad considering the stuff they had to clean up) and a few were on FS and stuff. They had to support their families on their tiny salary. FS and other PA helped them so that they wouldn't have to choose whether to pay rent or buy food to feed the kids. I wish more people understood that.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, People assume the worst about people on cash aid or any type of assistance. Many of the children on medicaid are there because they are disabled and private insurance won't pay. Food stamps covers many who work in low paying jobs. Also the system is set up, at least here in CA, that you have to be in school, working or looking for work. There will always be people who work their way around the system but there are just as many rich people whe cheat on their taxes.

I think it is disgusting that people in this country have become so angry with people who need help.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2009