Have any of you read Dr. Laura Schlessinger's Book, "In Praise of SAHMs"

I have never listened to her radio show, but I've heard that she thinks all moms should stay home and is very critical of working moms. I believe she said some negative things about Sarah Palin when she was running for VP and about Hilary Clinton. I'm glad to see a book about giving SAHMs our props, but I'm not sure if I want to read a book by someone who comes down on working moms. My mother was a single mother and I thank God that she was a strong working woman. She gave me a great example of what a mother will do for their children. What do you think about Dr. Laura and have you read her book?

dawn_misayo

Asked by dawn_misayo at 7:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She also thinks if you get divorced or widowed you should remain single until your children leave home. I think she is kind of rude and needs to walk a mile in others shoes. I have been a SAHM and a single working mom...the only difference is I did all the SAHM things on top of working my ass off for money. I think if you can afford to be a SAHM then that is awesome and a choice I would make everytime, but that is not always a reality. I don't do my kids any good staying at home if we are all going hungry and sitting in the dark. When I am at home I am with my children not off doing my own thing. I really take it personally when women like her take their self righteous attitude out on working moms. We are all moms and we should have some solidarity amoung us.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I haven't, I hadn't even heard about it until now, but I think I'd like to. It would either be really good or really bad. If she focuses on bashing working moms, it would probably tick me off!! But if it just focused on being a SAHM, it could be really good. I'm a SAHM, but like you had a single mother who worked, and I worked up until a couple years ago and will go back to work when we're done having children and they are grown to a point. I'll have to go see if I can find it at the library now. Wouldn't want to buy a book like that unless I knew it was good!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my hubby listened to her on sirus radio and he doesn't think she is that opened minded
    Anonymous

• I haven't read her book, nor will I.

She is one of the most closed-minded women in existence. It has to be HER way or it's wrong.

Anonymous

• I admit that I agree with a lot of what she says. I would be interested to read her book.
    Anonymous

• I would take it out at the library if you really want to read it... You may not be to happy paying for it after you find out what kind of person she is...
    Anonymous

• my mom used to listen to her show every day when waiting to pick me up from school..id only here about 20 mins of the program..i dont remember the bashing the SAHMs, although that was 6 years ago but she is one of those 'my way or highway' kind of people..doesnt she have her own daughter?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2009