What did your mother or an adult tell you about your period? Did it scare you to get it?

I got mine at my friends house and the mom was really comforting. What about you? Do you have daughters, what are you teaching them? My daughtters started when they were 11 and 12 years old. I talked to them since they were little girls that their periods means that maybe they'll have a baby born from them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• God, my mother was awful. She put a book on the table in front of my brother and I and told us to read it. UGH. She was always so secretive, so naturally I was so embarrassed. It was awful. I had two daughters and I made sure to explain it to them. It helped the second daughter with the first talking to her as well.
    Anonymous

• I got mine while I was at practice for a musical at school. How horrible is that? I was only ten and when I got home I didn't know what to do. I finally told my mom and we stood in our bathroom while she explained to me what I needed to do. She never explained why I had one. I learned that in school about a year later.
    Anonymous

• my mom neglected to tell me anything in time. her & her 2 sisters didn't start til 16/17 & so she thought she had time to do it later. I got mine early in the sch yr of 6th grade & in the morning at school. I thought I was dying!!! the poor male security guard had to have 'the talk' with me & he was the one who 'instructed' me how to use pads lol. poor guy but he was really helpful.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 7:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• She didn't... My health teacher showed us a video...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• same as sabrina- i just always knew from health class but when i got it my mom showed me where she kept the pads and i slapped one on and kept it moving- i always knew i was going to get it so it didnt surprise me- lol theheartbaby- that is too funny- the poor guy probably remembers that to this day!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My mom never said a word to me. They just happened. I had an older sister and sort of knew something was up and that those pads were for something personal.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• op here-first response OMG we could be sisters!!! That is exactly what my mother did to my brother and I!!!! I'm so glad some one else had a mother like I did. To this day she still can't talk any thing personal! and for theheartbaby...just wondering how you ended up telling the school security guard and not going to the school nurse???? My husband's best friend I've talked birth control with before we married and then my husband was just too embarrassed to talk about it although we did practice birth control easily!!
    Anonymous

• I learned about it from school and 3 older sisters... My Mom didn't talk about such things,lol We just knew where "the drawer" was,lol
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I remember my mother telling me about it when I was like 7 then never said anything else about it, so when I got it at 13ish, I freaked. I was really emotional and didn't know what was happening to me. She handed me a pad, told me to use it and looked at me like I was crazy. Didn't tell me how to use it at all. I stayed in the bathroom, crying, thinking I was sick and dying. She eventually came back into the bathroom to show me how to use it, then made me go to school. All the while, still acting as if I was a crazy freak. It made me feel so special about becoming a woman. (note the sarcasm)

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 8:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think my mom just told me that I was going to bleed once a month, and that I'd get cramps...

This is funny (not funny at the time), but I was told that most girls got their periods when they were around 12 years old (this was back in the 80's). I had also seen the movie Carrie, and the scene where she gets her first period in the shower. So, for my whole 12 year of life, I was afraid everytime I stepped into the shower!!

I wound up getting my period 3 weeks before my 13th b-day. I was sitting on the toilet and wiped and saw blood. I freaked out a little. I waited about an hour before I told my mom. She smiled and said, "Oh, now you've become a woman". Thanks mom!! She also called my GRAMMA and told her!! I was so embarrassed!!!!!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2009