Does any one know how to get more milk production, I'm having issues producing enough milk.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your breast doesn't need to change size to have milk in it. The first few days, it will get engorged between feedings, but that stops happening. There's a certain way that to squeeze your nipple to express milk; it normally won't come out if you squeeze your breast unless you are really full. You probably aren't getting any milk out because you don't know how to express it right.
    It hurts because he isn't latching on right, and he's letting go and crying because he's frustrated that it's not working the way that he wants it to. You'll need to meet with a certified lactation consultant to get some help getting your latch right. Every time you feed him, you need to put him on the breast first, until he unlatches himself. Then, you can offer formula if you think that he didn't get enough. The reason you need to offer him the breast often is because your body responds to the demands put upon it by the baby.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 8:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It looks like your baby is less than 2 weeks old, is that right? Basically you need to nurse, nurse, and then nurse some more! Make sure you nurse at least 12 times in 24 hours. Try to spend as much of the day as you can laying down with her with your shirt off and her in only a diaper. Encourage her to nurse as frequently as you can (every 10 minutes if she will!)
    Gradually cut back on any formula you are giving.
    If you want to bring in a full milk supply you will have the best chance in the first 3 weeks. Rent a hospital grade pump and pump in between feedings. Replace any formula you are giving with the pumped milk.
    Make sure baby has a good latch and is getting milk. If baby is not getting the milk out your body won't get the message to make more milk. Use breast compression to help her get more out (squeeze your breast to make the milk flow when her sucking slows down)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• May I ask why you think you are not producing enough? This is important in how I will answer you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Oh I forgot to add I can't afford a pump. But yes he is 11 days. and he eats 4 oz a feeding any les he wont stop crying I can't supply that much for than 2 feeding in 12 hrs. and would like to breast feed more often than I am able to now.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Why do you think you can't supply that much?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't think I'm producing enouugh milk because after one feeding on each side I return to normal cup size Then don't get bigger for 12 hrs. If I offer the breast again he will latch but it hurts really bad he'l take two sucks let go and cry. I'll squeeze my breast and nothing will come out. So I've only been able to do 2 feedings by breast in a 12 hr period.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• None of that matters. How your breasts feel, what YOU can express... none of that is important. If you nurse on demand and drop the supplements, as long as you are changing 6-8 diapers a day and baby is not losing weight, your supply is fine. The nursing on demand, and fussing at the breast is GOOD for you. It stimulates your body to make more milk. I strongly encourage you to drop the bottle, and seek out your local La Leche League. They are very helpful. I'll also answer any other questions you have to the best of my ability.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well I've tried just breast feeding for a full day and he had only 3 dirty daipers with in that period.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• 3 dirty or 3 wet? It's 6-8 wet diapers you need in a 24 hour period. Just nurse nurse nurse. Your body will produce enough. Nurse every half hour if you have to. Don't supplement with formula or your supply won't go up. No need to count how many ounces he takes.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• actually it was 2 wet and 1 dirty is what I had it 24 hrs so I freaked out and went back to supplimenting plus he hardly ever really cries except if he is hungry and he cried almost that whole 24 hrs. As soon as I went back to supplimenting he stopped crying and his diaper count went back to normal. I just don't want to malnurish him, but would like to breast feed. My doc said I may have issues because I didn't breast feed my first 2. I just hoped I didn't and when I called for advice both the babies doc and mine said drink beer and take warm showers and let him cry for a while. I tried them all they didn't work very well I still had the same problem. So I don't know what else there is. I do know he latch is consistant every time and the lactation consultant in the hospital said it was perfect, but they don't offer out patient help.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009