What is going on with these soldiers at Ft Lewis?

I'm just wondering about the increase in criminal activity among the soldiers stationed at Ft. Lewis in Washington. My hubby is stationed at McChord Air Force Base, which is now joining with Ft Lewis, and it seems like every week or 2 there is another story about something with a Ft Lewis soldier. Just today, a story came out about a soldier pimping out two 16 and 17 year old girls who were living with him. There was the death of the 16 year old civilian in the dorms, some assaults, rapes, murder. You can only blame PTSD to a point. Wonder what else is going on. Opinions?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=6897962&page=1

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/43188267.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 7:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well for one its an Army wide thing, unfortuantly the rules for joining the Army are far too lax. They have people with criminal records, people in gangs, even people with a history of drug abuse. And yes I know this all because I am an Army wife, previously my husband was a Marine and we NEVER saw half the crap we have seen with the Army. Fort Lewis is also a large base so more people equals more crime.
    Anonymous

• We live near there also & it amazes me how much crap keeps going on. It's scary that people tend to turn their back to it & ignore that there is a problem.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Thank you for the info...I do not want to be stationed there now...LOL
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 7:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I live about 40 minutes from there, didn't even know that.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• virginia beach was like that with the sailors about 10 years ago. i don't know what it is, i don't think its all PTSD. what i do know is it pisses me off alot these guys are what give our military a bad name
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I agree with anon its an Army wide thing. I know I was in. The guy across the hall from me got caught with some roofies. (date rape drug you put in a drink). Guys would go out get drunk and then drive, chase girls all over the place even into the ladies room. I had one guy ask me if I wanted to see his penis. I said no. He pulled it out to show me anyway. I had a squad leader that caught going around sniffing womens' underwear while they were sleeping. Then there was My fiance former room mate who got caught drug trafficking to Canada and back. Selling it to people who lived i the barracks and other places on post. I know it is not PTSD cause they were doing this crap before they got deployed. Oh my best friends room mate was a prostitute, no lie she slept with different guys in the barracks for money and drugs.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It's true the Army is relaxing on their standard of enlisting. My nieces husband is in the army and knows Army folks that have a record. I don't call the bad apples soldiers, they give the noble title a bad name.  Most Army Soldiers are fine people. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, over 11,000 gay soldiers have been kicked out in the last few years YET convicted felons are now being allowed in.....shameful...Thanks GWB
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Its that way here at Ft Hood, too. There was a soldier missing, then found murdered in the woods...alot of soldiers having sex with underaged girls...everyweekend someone dies as a result of drinking and driving...
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Why blame the military and bush? Maybe it's the non parenting, I want to be my child's best friend parents out there now days! Grow up and teach your kids right from wrong and we wouldn't have all this drama! I am really scared for my son's generation.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009