Breast pump question

I know that I want to breastfeed, but for some crazy reason I have not even thought about accessories that I might need. I know that I am going to get a pump, but I do not want to spend a crazy amount of money. Anyone have any suggestions on which ones work well? Any other "accessory" suggestions are definitely welcome! =) thanks

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 7:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• boppy is the absolute must have on my list!!!!
    Anonymous

• YES A BOPPY IS A MUST HAVE. there are some electric pumps out there for as cheap as $40.you have to look though..you're gonna find a whole bunch anywhere between 80 and 300..another thing to look for is something to cover you and baby up when/if you breast feed in public
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I had a medula pump n style. It was very expensive (maybe $250, I don't remember) but if you think of the money you'll save by not buying formula it's a very good investment. If you are a working mom an electric pump is something you definitely want to invest in. If you're going to be home then a cheep hand may be all you need.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Other things you might need:

nursing bras, I just bough cheep ones at walmart

nipple pads so you don't leak onto your clothes

a nipple shield, they help some babies latch on

milk freezer bags if you plan to pump

nipple cream-I never needed it, but many moms say it helps with sore nipples

boppy pillow really makes it easier (at least it was for me) to get the baby in the right position

I also got a nursing night gown that wrapsin the front (definitely not necessary)

I also used bottles at least once a day to give expressed breast milk so when I went back to work he would eat from a bottle.

That's all I can think of right now!

MAUREEN55

• Lanolin and those gell pads that you can put in the fridge were life savers in the begining!!
    Anonymous

• I have tried many different types of pumps and the most comfortable I have used is the Avent pump, I think it is Avent ISIS, they make it in a hand pump or an electric. LOVED IT! And definitely the lanolin cream, and breast pads.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I breastfed my son for 18 months and am currently bfng my 5mth old daughter. These are the things I used:

Boppy
    Breastpads
    Lanolin
    Nursing bra
    Breast pump (only used about 5 times total)

You don't need a lot :)
    Anonymous