I have been pumping 3 times a day since my daughter was born, why is my milk supply going down and how can I increase it?

my baby is 8 months old

tazcentral

Asked by tazcentral at 8:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with the other posters, try pumping a few more times a day - it will bring the supply up to meet the demand. You can also try fenugreek (an herbal supplement at health food stores). Make sure you are hydrated, that you are eating enough, and try to relax, all of it helps.
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 12:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Are you pumping for extra milk for a rainy day, or pumping so you can go back to work later? If you started pumping when your daughter was born, your supply hadn't adjusted to your baby's demand yet. Women often feel very full in those first days, weeks, even months after the milk comes in because they are in fact producing more than necessary. It's totally normal to pump less over time. Is your baby nursing or are you just pumping? Need a little more information here to know best what the issue is... but in general, pumping more frequently or putting baby to breast is the best way to get your supply up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Hey my sons in 10months old, I breastfed him for two months. I remember when putting him near or to the breast my milk would increase. Hes the only one who can increase naturally. Try and relax, I "believe" that stress can decrease, dont quote me on that one. But just try and put your baby to the breast, that DOES help.
    MickeyZ

Answer by MickeyZ at 8:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Also if your child is 8 months old and eating plenty of solids, your milk could be going down because of a decrease in demand.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My daughter also drinks formula, she has never nursed directly from me.. just couldnt get her to latch on. I'm feeding her the expressed milk, I dont ever have enough to save. I normaly pump at least 4 ounces and it has dropped to 3, and today to 2 and a half...
    tazcentral

Answer by tazcentral at 8:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Then I would pump more frequently. You won't get as much in a session, but you should be able to up your overall production that way. Be sure to leave the pump going even after the milk stops for awhile... this is like putting baby to breast.... signals to your body, "need more!" Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• See if you can get her to latch again. Up your pumping. 3 times a day is not enough.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I know this sounds silly but how does my body know she is eating solids... she could always use more milk...
    tazcentral

Answer by tazcentral at 8:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have tried latching her on to me but she wiggles out of it and just looks at me like im weird! I will definately try pumping more and leaving the pump running after all the milk is expressed! Thank you for your advice ladies. Any other way to increase supply?
    tazcentral

Answer by tazcentral at 8:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It's probably not the solids thing... I said that thinking you were breastfeeding her as well... I pumped while at work and my supply went down big-time at 7 or 8 months... adding a pumping session helped.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009