Would you be upset if someone else spanked your child?

MY BFF of five years was watching my son yesterday cuz i had my NT scan.. we are very close and watch each other kids for free just to help out.. she knows my stance on spanking and i thought she respected that.. i respect that she does spank her kids, but i do NOT spank them when they are at my house i feel it is not my place..
well when i picked him up he told me "momma ti-ti spank my butt" i asked her if this was true and she said yes it was cuz she asked him to stop doing something and he wouldnt and she put him on time out but he wouldnt stay.. instead of redirecting him she SPANKED HIM! am i wrong to think this is totally uncalled for? would you be upset? how should i handle this? i wanted to scream at her, but i just grabbed him and left

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Depends on who it is and what my kids did!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• could you tell if your son was upset over it or did he say it comfortably and with out upset emotion? A tap can be a spanking so can a swat. Then there's other steps that are harder.
    Anonymous

• YES! You don't touch my child unless I tell you it's okay and even if I said it was okay, I wasn't giving you the okay to physically abuse them!!!
    Anonymous

• Yeah kind of depends.... My friends son kept calling me bad names when he was in my care... he was three.... I grew up with getting soap in the mouth.... well he laughed the first time, so he got it again, didnt think it was so funny the second time.... She didnt have a problem with it, she knew he probably deserved it
    Anonymous

• Hell yes it would make me mad! If she knew you didn't spank she had no right. I would tell her how you feel and that if it happens again, you won't be doing this babysitting exchange anymore...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes and she would not babysit for me again.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well I can tell yeah one thing... Your probably lost a baby sitter... I for one will not watch someones kid if I use their discipline (sp) methods and they did work.... Sorry but, if the kid isn't going to mind me using your methods and I can't use mind, then Im not gonna help you out.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• did not work.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If she knew you had a problem with it, then maybe. But, on the other hand, if you knew she did spank, then maybe you should have found someone else, or talked to her more about how you discipline and give her other things to use, it sounds like she tried your way and it didn't work and resorted to her way. Maybe if she had more things that you used she wouldn't have gotten to that. I don't know, it wouldn't have bothered me because I personally don't have a problem with spanking as long as it's controlled, not in anger, not hard, and deserved.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My rules and ways were always the same in my house no matter who was there. I also knew that when my kids were in another's house, it was their way. If I was looking for a babysitter, I'd have to know so many "parenting" things about them. I'd have to agree to their way, or I wouldn't be leaving my kids there. I've never been able to control other people or what goes on in their house. That's why I've always been very picky about where my kids were able to go.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009