Do you bribe your kids with toys so that they will behave?

Example: youre at the store is LO is acting out real bad.
Do you say "I'll get you a small toy if you behave until im done shopping"
Or "If youre good when we get home they'll be a nice surprise for you" Or something along those lines?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• No... because after that then every time you go to the store they will act up just to get something.. I made that mistake only one time and it took me forever to get it out of my childs head that if he acts up mommy will get him a toy when he stops.. trust me kids are smart!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 9:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I expect my son to behave himself in public with or without a toy.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Heck no. My child is 7 months old and already gets told to behave and she will not get a toy just because she is good, she is expected to be good and maybe once in awhile will she get a toy. I hate hearing people bribe their kids to be good. Maybe if we all expected a little more out of our kids then they wouldn't act the way they do. If I knew I would get a toy for being bad then I would act up to and change my tune as soon as I hear the magic words "you will get a toy if your good" to easy thats why kids act like hellions.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Nope. When my kids acted up badly in public, we left and went home. Which of course they'd have a fit about. I simply explained that they were embarrassing me, and bothering others. No toys for brats.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No, I won't reward unacceptable behavior, in the scenario you described bribing the child will only reinforce the behavior you are trying to eradicate. I don't know how old is the child but assuming that he/she can understand consequence and effect I will explain as calm as I could that the behavior needed to stop immediately and give her strategies to calm herself, like breathing exercises.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am not gonna say I have never done it. But,it is usually involving something I was gonna give them anyway. For instance,today I planned to take my girls to the new Hannah Montana movie. Before that, I had a Dr.'s appointment. I told them about my plans for the movie - and the condition of them needing to behave during my appt, before I would take them. I would have followed through though - if they had not behaved, we would have skipped the movie and gone home.
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 10:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No, I'm the parent, they behave or there are consequences.
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Hah.....I bribe with candy...Its cheaper. I don't care what others say, it works for me.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Heavens no!

If she is acting up, I give her a warning. If it doesn't help, I put her in time out right there in the store. If I sense that the shopping trip will continue to be rough, I'll go home but I don't tell her we are going home because of her behavior - all that would do is teach her that acting up gets her out of the borning shopping and back home with her toys.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No, I don't bribe my children. They behave because they should, it's not like I want them thinking the world will give them things every time they behave or misbehave when they're older, it's like I want them to know that if they don't behave in society they will be punished, and if they do then their rewards are as they make them, such as a good job, food, shelter, friends and family that love and support them.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2009