I feel like my daughter isn't progressing as quickly as she should. Should I worry?

Hayden will be nine months tomorrow. She doesn't crawl, although she rolls great. She gets up on her knees about once a day for a few seconds, but isn't interested in getting mobile. She does walk if someone is holding her hands. She also doesn't babble very much. When she does all she says is dadadadada and lalalalala (no mamama :( . She won't take a sippy cup. All she does is chew on it. The only thing she is doing well is teething. She's getting all four of her top front teeth at once, which is making for a VERY cranky child! However she doesn't want to be held, but she doesn't want to be put down either. Whenever I take something away from her she screams bloody murder. I feel like a horrible mother because I'm not sure what to do in any of these circumstances. Help! Oh, I have started signing to her (eat, sleep and toy to start) She seems to find this really interesting.

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't stress about any of it. DD just started walking at 14 almost 15 months. She refused a sippy until after her birthday. Babies do things when they are ready to, not when we are ready for them to do it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 9:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Im not even sure what to say. every child develops differently. Encourage her but dont push her... and talk to her doctor about it. im sure shes fine, just progressing differently.
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 9:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Each child will do things at their own pace. My nephew was 7 months before he sat up, 11 months before he crawled and 16 months before he walked. He didn't start talking until he was almost 3 to the point we could understand. He would say Mama, Dada, dog, cup, bubby, out, up and down. Try encourage the crawling by showing her what to do. Move her arms and legs for her and get down and crawl on the floor. Keep giving her the cup and when she is awake offer it to her. She will eventually take it. Just remember she will do it in her own time and there is nothing wrong with her. She may be the quiet type who doesn't have much to say. Good luck and if your worried talk to her doctor.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• None of this really sounds abnormal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• She sounds like she is doing pretty good to me. Developmentally, you know she is normal...from what you wrote here. And the other stuff, personality wise sounds like it is just due to the pain from teething...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If she is not your first that would most likely be the reason. If she is just remember every child progressing at their own pace some are faster than other. I wouldn't stress to much, but if you are really concerned just to ease your mind talk to her doc.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Sounds pretty normal to me!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Has Hayden ever been assessed for Autism or any other related developmental disability? If not early assessment could prove to be an essential key regarding growth and development. I don't know if you are a Christian or not but the Bible has a scripture that says: Sin is bound in the heart of a child( children sin early on in life). In addition the Bible also has a scripture that says I was shaped in iniquity( we were all born in sin so we don't have a problem demanding what we want and commanding our needs). You should look up the scriptures(concordance) and locate a Reformed Baptist Church if not only just to email a sound pastor, clergy men, or perishner. With children we must start early with some forms of discipline( verbal even). Saying no means love at many times. You have to discipline yourself to be tolerant of her crying so you don't give in when she could be trying to manipulate( at some point and time) .
    delisa374

Answer by delisa374 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• delisa374 you are off your rocker
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• A lot of babies actually never crawl. If they are satisfied rolling to get places, then there's not really any need to learn to crawl. My son rolled for months and months and then decided to learn to crawl. My daughter rolled for about a week and decided that it was a stupid way to travel and taught herself to crawl immediately. She is almost 14 months and just barely learning to walk. My son started walking right before he turned 1.

If you're worried about her development, though, talk to your doctor. Most doctors want you to come in for a 9 month visit anyway, and the peace of mind is really worth it.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 11:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009