What would happen if I allowed my daughter to stay awake past her normal bedtime?

If I went through the whole bedtime routine, and instead of putting her to the crib, I'd bring her into the livingroom and let her hang out with me?

I'm not talking about on a regular basis, I mean like once ot twice a month.

She's 9 months old by the way, and goes to bed by 7:30pm every night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is best to stick to a routine, but at that age, one night of something different once in a great while will not effect her too dramatically. It's really only if you get into a habit of keeping her up later that she'll readjust her natural bedtime. If you do keep her up one night, be sure to go back to early bedtimes the next. Be careful though, you are screwing with her sleep pattern, so she may get up as early the next day, or if you wake her up, she's missing out on sleep she needs.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The world will end. She will be up later than usual but then you can't be mad when her whole routine changes and she is staying up later. Don't start a routine only to break it. If you want her to stay up then change her bed time so you don't confuse her.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• She should be fine as long as you keep it low key before bed.
    Anonymous

• I agree with brailnsmama. If you are going to establish a routine stick to it. They your baby is going to end up confuse and probably do not sleep.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my daughter is like that right now. she's 11months old...she goes to bed at 7:30 at night then wakes back up to play at 10 and is up for an hr. but thats every night. she had a schedule but we couldnt go by it since she slept at different times.
    mom2samanthaR

Answer by mom2samanthaR at 11:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• She might get cranky or fall asleep anyway....
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009