What do you mother's feel when the thought of your baby might get hurt?

I know I sound very overly protective but none of us mommies want our babies to get hurt but my question is my dh is registering our son for football (age 7/8) and I am very nervous about it I try not to show it but deep inside I am and I am only sharing my feelings to you ladies. Please help me to ease my feelings I don't want to feel like this. Right now he is in baseball and looks so handsome out there doing his thing but you know football it is alot rougher. I don't know I guess I just have to turn the other cheek and pray. Have any of you mommies gone through this. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have not gone through that, but I know all about worrying.. I never stop. I look at it this way though, if it wasn't for daddy my daughter would not be allowed out of the house. Give it a chance, go to his first practices so that you can maybe put your mind at ease. GL!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• He is a boy, he is built to be tough and sports teach them discipline, respect and responsibility. If he is interested in it then encourage him and support him. He can get hurt doing anything in life and its better to make him tough now so later on it life he can dust himself off and move on.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't think you are being overprotective, football it is a contact sport after all, and like with many things in life there is that possibility of injuries. Having said that, your son needs to go out in the world and do things by himself. As parents, we want no harm their ways but it is just part of life. If it creates a lot of anxiety in you, he will pick up on it and recent you, he wants independence, support and to prove himself. I think that your husband is right in supporting him and if it helps it is normal to be concerned but it needs to be your burden to carry not your son's. try some breathing exercises, visualize your son having fun with his friends, developing a healthy outlook in life and building character while getting a couple of scratches or bruises but the outcome is always a positive one. your son with a big smile in his face for having his parents supporting him in his development.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well, 7 or 8 years (old enough to play football) is not a baby. You can either realize that and let him grow up, or you can put him in a bubble.

Now, when my boys WERE babies I did worry, but I knew bumps and bruises were going to happen as they learned to walk and run and jump as toddlers.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't really worry about stuff like that. My kids have probably gotten more hurt just screwing around with each other then playing an organized sport in appropriate protective gear.
    Heck my kids are in sports at our park district (nothing really organized, just for fun) and so far my middle daughter got elbowed in the eye in soccer (she was 5), got slammed with a ball, my son got knocked flat to the floor while playing floor hockey, he's been slapped and slammed with hockey sticks, been hit with flying basketballs, smashed in the face. The last class they played dodge ball and my middle daughter got hit in the face 3 times. She's also in gymnastics and has fallen flat on her face several times trying to do handstands. I think a 7yo in pads playing football wouldn't get half as hurt as they have.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009