Why do babies fight sleep?

Its my son's bedtime and I can tell hes beyond tired. He feels the need to fight me on putting him to sleep. I'm rocking him and hes kicking and screaming. But finally after 20 minutes of rocking, I am victorious. Mommy vs. Aden --Mommy wins :)

Anyone know or have an idea why babies fight sleep even though they know they are tired?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My guess will have to be they don't want to miss a thing those little rascals...lol
    Finally they get tired and gonk out. But your doing the right thing :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No clue, my 7 week old stays awake ALL DAY.
    MAYBE 2 or 3 cat naps(10-30mins), and by the end of the day she is just so worn out and has bags under her eyes. But I put her down to bed and turn the light out and she goes right to sleep.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• They don't want to miss any thing
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my DD fights sleep ALL the time! my mom says that it's payback for all the times that i wouldn't sleep because i was afraid i'd miss something. imagine how exciting the world must be to a child.... everything is new to them and every moment awake is one where they can explore their environment and learn. life is fun for them.... they have yet to learn how cruel and unfair and scary thi world can be. plus night time can be scary.... it's dark, they can wake alone while the rest of the house is asleep.... or from a clinical and less interesting perspective, it could be their sleep associations (according to a book i read).
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• How old is your baby? FYI babies under six months dont have sleep problems, they dont have the ability to fight sleep. It's probably something else.
    Anonymous

• This world is so exciting & new and they see so many cool things everyday! Would you want to go to sleep after you've discovered the wonder of your toes or the fact that Mommy's shirt has a really cool bright color on it that you've never seen before?? ;)

It's be like you being in an exotic foreign country... You'd want to see everything there was around you, even if you were dog tired, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My son never fights to sleep at night. But some times when he is exhausted and needs a nap he just started fighting it. Hes almost 5 months old. And after other things dont work, I will cuddle him and dance with him or rock him. And he will make these loud whiny noises. Not crys or anything, just goofy noises, as if he is trying to keep himself awake. He will stop for a min close his eyes and then whine again.lol
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009