Can I breastfeed?

Ok my daughter is 1month old, and she has such bad colic that she screams all the time. Everyone is telling me that I should have breastfed her but she is on formula. And I am having people tell me to start breastfeeding her now. Can I even breastfeed her? because I haven't done it?

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try to do it. She may not latch on as its not the nipple she is used to. Your milk will come back in if you let her nurse a few times a day for 10 minutes or so on each side. Have you tried to give her a peppermint candy in warm water? You can also do the gas drops about 15 minutes before she eats. Or use a warm compress on her stomach. Massage her stomach and her back to release the gas in her stomach. Try switching to a gentle ease formula and see if that helps. Changing her could cause more colic to be honest.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• WIth breast or a new formula you want to slowly introduce it to her to avoid more stomach pain.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes. It will take stimulation, lots of vitamins, and you have to be very very well hydrated. By stimulation I mean pulling and pinching and squeezing your breast, or getting an electric pump and pumping everyday, several times a day. You CAN do it.
    Anonymous

• You can try but even Bf babies have colic so they can't use that as an excuse to try and guilt you.

Anonymous

• Yes it is possible but it wont be easy. Try nursing for a few minutes, as long as she will tolerate, before every feeding. You didnt deliver so long ago that you wont be able to produce milk, but you will have to remind your body to actually do it. Good Luck.

Don't however, do it because you feel guilty. But if you really really want to it is a beautiful thing. Just do it for the right reasons, not to make someone else happy.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, you can begin to breastfeed her even now. It isn't as easy as starting breastfeeding from the beginning, but is DEFINTIELY possible with dedication and patience.

There are lots of resources online for relactation (bringing your milk back)... you might Google for info on "nursing an adopted baby" as much of that will be helpful; even though your situation is different, the advice is often similar. You can also check out this site for information on relactation as well as this one on weaning from formula. One thing that might help a lot is a "supplemental nursing system" which is a way to feed the baby formula at your breast, this stimulates your breasts to begin making milk again, and gets her used to nursing, while feeding the baby in the meantime.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You may also want to consult a lactation consultant (one with IBCLC after their name, this means that they are International Board Certified Lactation Consultants and have received rigorous training) and/or your local LLL. If you don't have access to LLL, they have Leaders who are available to answer questions over the phone or by email - so you can go to their site and get in touch with someone who can help you. They can also put you in touch with other mothers who have relactated and they can answer your questions and share their own experience with you so that you can have a realistic idea of the what to expect, the effort that is needed, what works and what does not, etc.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes it's called relactation. It's not going to be easy, but it's VERY possible. Especially since your daughter's only a month old. Get in touch with a good lactation consultant, and join some breastfeeding groups here on cafemom. You'll get a ton of information. Just type 'relactation' into your google bar.

Poor baby :( your daughter is a perfect example of why breastmilk is so important. Formula is too hard on their tiny, pure bodies!
    Anonymous

• You can try to induce lactation... Invest in a pump and pump regularly every 1-2 hours, take fenugreek, maybe even take Reglan (prescription), and eat and drink things like oatmeal and DARK beer until your get a good supply going.

Not easy at all, but you CAN do it! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• u can try but i breast fed my baby and she still had colic...try a hypoalergenic formula like similac allimentum...its the purple can...its way more expensive but it helped almost right away because my baby was so sensitive with anything i ate that was expressed thru my milk...but u can try breast feeding and try to get her to latch for about 10 mins at a time and then go to the bottle after if it doesnt happen...u may try to pump first to start the milk producing process because then shell see that there is an alternate food source...and im sorry to say that drinking a dark beer is an old wives tale...it was thought that the yeast in the beer helps u produce milk but it is the wrong kind of yeast and has nothing to do with your milk production...no alcahol is good for a baby which is what happens because of it going thru your milk...but do limit caffeine if not get rid of it completely...hope this helps...
    lavoiesmom

Answer by lavoiesmom at 12:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009