Discipline: How do you get your child to listen and behave?

Any advice for positive discipline? Finding I am repeating myself, yelling, and often losing my temper lately.
Only positive replies please! Thanks for your help/advice.

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 10:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Time outs, early bed time, no snacks, standing them in the corner, taking away a toy. If you don't believe in spanking then those are a few ideas. You can make anything positive if its done correctly.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Thank you for your quick reply!!
    2coolmama

Answer by 2coolmama at 10:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• To the corner until they decide they are going to do what they were told. If they say they'll do it and then don't, right back to the corner.

I have them stand in the corner because they get tired quicker! lol We don't use the "one minute per year" rule, they stand there until they are going to listen to we say and do as they are told without arguing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The key for me has been consistency. The same actions always bring the same swift consequences every time. I also refuse to ask more than once, I feel that by repeating ourselves several times, counting to three etc. we teach our kids that they don't have to listen the first time we tell them something.

Last, and probably most important for my family, I praise correct behavior and complement my kids when I know he was thinking of doing something bad but did the right thing instead. I might say " I know it was hard for you not to throw that baloney on the dog, but I am so proud that you did the right thing and put it in the trash instead." :)

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2009