how do i get my 6 month old on a good schedule?

he is sleeping all the time but i cant seem to get him on a straight schedule he wakes up at around 8:30 now sometimes 10 and naps threwout the day he sleeps threw the night but i have to let him cry it out sometimes and he does not go to bed tell after 10...i am wondering how to get him to go to bed at a more decent time and still have him sleeping threw the night even if he does wake up earlyer

devinsmommy08

Asked by devinsmommy08 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start putting him to bed 10 minutes earlier each night until he is on the time you want. Cut out his late naps so he is tired earlier. Start a routine of a bath, then his bottle or nursing then off to bed. He doesn't know time yet so if you skip out on his naps later on in the day he should be tired. He shouldn't sleep past maybe 6:30 pm each night that way he has a good 2 hours to be awake to 2.5 or 3 depending on what time you want him in bed.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i recommend the book "how to solve your child's sleep problems" by dr ferber. although your child is sleeping through the night, you will find helpful information on setting up a good schedule for your child. i did not have a routine for daytime for my DD before reading this book either. my DD would nap when she wanted.... and now she actually has a nap time AND sleeps during it. we are still working on her bedtime issues, but her daytime schedule is great now. the book will also provide you with information on getting your child on a consistent sleep-wake schedule. good luck! :)
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Ha...Good luck with that! Neither of my kids got on a "schedule" til around 9/10 months old. Lol.

Try the book "Baby-Wise" :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Check out "The No Cry Sleep SOlution"by Elizabeth Pantley.

But it sounds to me like he IS on as much of a schedule as you can expect for the age.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2009