how do you deal with inlaws that constantly get on your nerves, because they don't like you?

especially when you keep to yourself due to their negativity .

hellokitty27

Asked by hellokitty27 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• Same problem w/ my hubbys family. I am cordial with them, and the rest I block out in a respectable manner.
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 10:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Try the group MIL problems, you'll find lots of good advice in there. I think that it doesn't matter what they do or don't do but how we choose to react to their actions what really determinate the outcome.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• There isn't much you can do. I went through a stage w/ my DH's parents and I just ignored it. Hopefully ur DH understands the situation and doesn't just automatically side w/ your inlaws. My husband didn't put me in uncomfortable situations with them because he knew how our relationship was.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• have a sit down tlk with them. let them know you are married to their son and you two are very happy. and you would very much like i if you and them could start a relationship cuz you guys will always have to be around each other. you nor them is going anywhere. :)
    iMa.M0mmY

Answer by iMa.M0mmY at 11:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Your hubby needs to lay down the law. If they can't exept you they don't exept him. You were his choice and you are united they need to know that. Even if they don't like you they should be respectful. If they disrespect you they disrespect him.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• not like ME? How could anyone not like me? ok, that's a joke. My mom was excellent about being determined to make someone like her when they didn't. She'd be having them eat out of her hand in no time. It amazed me. I'd be telling them to kiss my behind but she was a 'kill them with kindness" sort of shrew. She'd make them think they rocked then sent them on their way! lol My mom was so cool. Gosh I miss her. Just keep agreeing with them and smiling to their face and hope they get tired of annoying you and go away!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Your husband needs to deal with it.

Mine cut his mother off because of the way she talked about me. She hasn't seen her grandson in about three years as a result.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2009