Has anyone had experience with this?

I was feeding my three week old and noticed red splotches on the nape of her neck. There were two right below the hair line and some underneath the hair, right at the back of her head. Does anybody know what this might be? I've read about mongolian spots on babies, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Maybe birth marks? If I recall, right after she was born, her scalp had numerous red splotches, but I thought maybe that was due to the fetal scalp monitor. These look a lot like a rash.

mom2bsoon83

Asked by mom2bsoon83 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a storks bite. It's a bright red birthmark that's a little splotchy and is on the back of the neck, sometimes under the hair. Emi has one or two spots. Sometimes they have it on their foreheads or eyelids, then they're called angel kisses.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My DD has the same thing...theyre not the same as mongolian spots b/c she has one on her tailbone...but my DD has them onthe back of her head and a very faint one in between her eyes...according to the pedi, they do dissappear with time. We call em "stork bites."
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Is it possible it is a heat rash?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• did u ask her doctor what it could be? my daughter had that when she was born also...they said she had an allergic reaction to something now that she is 11 months old she has eczema.
    Anonymous

• I got the same thing with my daughter, she's 7 weeks and still has some on her head and back of the neck. I asked my doctor what it was and he said a big word. I said 'pardon?" and he said 'storkbite.'
    no I don't know I guess its normal lol!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• when my DD was a couple weeks old, she developed a red mark on her big toe.... a couple days later the baby toe on the same foot had the same red splotch on it. i thought she may have had an allergic reaction to something (like her socks or the detergent). it turned out to be a birthmark. i didn't realize that a birthmark could develop in the first few weeks, i thought it would be present at birth.
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It's called baby acne.. I was freaked out when my daughter had this.. It didn't look like acne to me but the doctor assured me and she grew out of it..
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2009