Did your mother or adult talk to you about sex?

If so, did it have any impact on when you lost your virginity? Did you do anything different as a result? How old were you?

My mother didn't talk to me about sex and so I lost my virginity at an earlier age than I wish Iwould've so I'm going to definitely talk to my kids about it and hope it will have some influence.

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 10:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• my mother did but i don't feel it had an influence b/c it was more sex is bad sex makes you pregnant and that was the extent of the conversation, i lost my virginity at the age of 17 with a man i'd been with for about a year.
    Anonymous

• My mother walked in to my room while I was playing with my barbies and said "if you want to have sex, let me know." and turned around and walked out. The first time I had sex I got pregnant at 22.

LOL< he said he couldn't have babies, and I believed him. So I will talk to my daughter, but I think I'll wait till she gets passed barbies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Both of my parents talked to me about sex not together but at different times when the opportunity presented itself. I think it was the tactics that guys used that they told me about that dissuaded me from having sex. The statements that guys used were exactly word for word what my parents told me they would say, so I didn't lose my virginity until I was 22.

nateandlo

Answer by nateandlo at 11:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My mom and I discussed it. I don't really recall the particular conversation, but I do know that we were really open about it. She got pregnant with my sister at a pretty young age and didn't want that happening to her daughters. My mom took me to Family Planning once she knew I was sexually active. I knew I could come to her with any problems/issues I was having with relationships. I do plan to have 'the talk' with my daughter. I want her to be informed.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 11:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my mom gave me a pamphlet on abstinence a long while after i started dating..

that was the day i lost my virginity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my parents never talked to be about sex..i was raised in a christian household, private school, church every sunday, and ya i never got the talk..all i was told was no sex before marriage..never why, or what it was, nothing!! i learned from watching 90210..and ya i ended up having sex when i was 17 to a guy who was 26, who i had JUST met that same day! i was sick of being told not to do anything, an i figured thats one thing i could control, so i did!!! so yes, i do plan on talking to my daughter about sex..cuz..what i did was sooo not cool!! and yes, i regret it!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My mom didn't talk about sex or puberty or anything. It was understood that sex was for marraige and that was about all she had to say about it. My older sister answered my questions about mebstruation and sex when I was about 9. Then, there were the school videos and health class in high school. The best sex talk I gor was from our youth group leader at church. She and her husband divided the boys and the girls and talked about purity and abstinence. My husband and I were technical virgins. A lot of hot and heavy making out but always just short of intercourse. Even going that far hindered our relationship. I have a 7yr old son. We have discussed anatomy in answer to his questions. I hope my husband will step up and give him "the talk" when he is a older. Right now we just answer his questions and try to let him know that even though this is private stuff, he can always talk to us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My mother started when I was born. I lost my virginity at 18, in a fit of stupidity. lol But I think it should be an ongoing conversation from birth.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My mom never talked to me about sex or anything related. I lost my virginity young, she found out and just told me that no matter what age i get pregnant, not to get an abortion because she would help me raise my child. I think if she did talk to me, i would have waited longer.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My mom talked to me about the sex part on the day I started my period. I was 11. I remember already kinda knowing was it was, she was open about it, and told me if I had any questions, to just ask her.
    I grew up in Europe where they teach sex-ed much earlier than here in the States, and with boys and girls together. My oldest is 7, and has already been asking questions about where babies come from. I am honest, but keep it clean. I told her about the egg and the sperm, but I haven't told her how it gets in the tummy. I will wait to tell her that part when she asks.
    I lost my virginity when I was 19, to my now husband. Not because I believe sex isonly for marriage or anything, I just hadn't met anyone before him, I wanted to be with in that way.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 2:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009