Why?

I am athiest. But i do not understand why other atheist want to try to force people of faith into trying to defend their faith. Can anyone explain how this helps? I mean I understand the defending ourselved against attacks about how we are ________(insert name here), but how does the other help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Once again, I think we have an imposter among us. Definitely don't think this was posted by an Athiest.............................
    Anonymous

• I'm not an atheist, but my feeling is that it is probably because they find theism to be an ideology that has brought pain and suffering into the world, and that this world would be a more just, peaceful, joyful, intelligent place if people would let go of their need for fairy tales and imaginary friends, which often leads to a fervent willingness to subject themselves to amoral leaders who use religion as their authority to control and manipulate the "faithful" for their own material gain or ego gratification.

I think that about sums it up?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well, I'm not an atheist, but I do like to push and ask questions and make people think about their faith.
    Anonymous

• OP say something a Christian would not say.
    Anonymous

• I think both people on both sides are trying to convince the other that they are wrong. Just let people be who they are an believe what they believe.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No very much atheist I just don't get why we need to convince them they are wrong for having faith. Are they wrong for trying to force it into law (if they do not all of them do)? Yes. Would they be wrong for trying to force it down our throats? Of course. I just happen to think that some people are trying to push atheism the same way some people force religion. I personally would rather some of them stay in church. I like shopping on sunday morning knowing there is no crowd till the afternoon.
    Anonymous

• Dawn your right, IF someones belief are different then someone who believe the opposite then they must be saying they are wrong so then they may feel they need to prove they are right and for some people that means belittling or making fun of the beliefs of others.....

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have more respect for Atheists and people of any belief system that stand firm in what they believe. Name calling and making fun of others is not necessary. Those who are on the fence always straddling annoy me. I am a Christian but would rather hang out with a die hard Atheist than a lukewarm watered down person who claims to be Christian. Stand firm in whatever beliefs you have if you don't you are not really a true believer or non believer.
    Anonymous

• Goes both ways.

I see people of faith trying to force atheists, agnostics, people of other faiths to defend their beliefs all the time as well.

Why? Who knows.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Simply because they have a grudge against God, and show their bitterness towards people of faith, because we cannot judge them.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2009