How do you to get them to STOP LYING!!

Recently my teen has starting lying more and more. I've taken things away, grounding, stuff like that. What do I do to really shock her and make her understand? Right now its just for stupid, silly things, but I'm afraid that if I don't put a stop to it now, it will only get worse!

Help! She is such a good kid, but this lying has to go!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Its a stage, I was like that when I was like 14, lol looking back I was a retard
    Anonymous

• dnt worry about it hon
    Anonymous

• well im 19. i remember i would lie because i was scared to tell me mom about the bad things i had done. just assure her that your there for her n let her know that the onyl wasy you will get mad at her is if she lies about it. tell her u value honesty, not lying. then reward her for telling the truth. get her a new shirt or something or lunch. something small. then let her know the reward system. teens love getting stuff for doing something right. makes them feel accomplished.
    iMa.M0mmY

Answer by iMa.M0mmY at 11:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would tell my child that it's not accaptable to lie and that she can tell me anything without fear of judgement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• lol, sorry. i'm 19 and just phased out of the teenager stage. um, there really isn't much you can do to stop lying. the more you punish the better she'll get (or at least that's how it was in my situation) i think the best method is to figure out why she's lying so much, what's her motivation?
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 4:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would stage a crying wolf scenario. Where you stage something "serious" and pretend to not believe her when she tells you.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 3:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It is a stage, but give them reasons not to lie, don't make them have to lie, be open and such, don't give a lot of harsh punishments..
    Anonymous

• Lie back to them when all else has failed. They have to realize how it feels in order to stop.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• just tell her that if you keep lying..nobody wiil believe in you even you're telling the truth!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Krisr169- I am with you on that, I am ignoring my kids, and they hate it, I let them know, HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL?
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009