when do they circumcise?

i know i can't spell sorry. but i'm having a boy in may and we are having him circumcised, i have heard that now it is popular practice not to do the surgery til the baby is a few months old!? is this true (like i've heard last year or so, so if your baby is older than that unless they made you wait, then please let me know when you answer) and if so how long does the procedure take and do they use anestesia? i don't want a debate on circumcision that decision is made already so i don't need people bashing me saying we shouldn't just want to know when they do it, i keep forgetting to ask my doc

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 11:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• and im having a boy too!!! in June! lol.. Good question. I have been wondering myself.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My friend just had a baby boy and they did it in the hospital the day after he was born. They used anesthesia. We were there when they brought him back into the room and he was totally calm and not crying. He wasn't drugged either, he was alert and fine. I don't know exactly what they did but it must have been great!! So, if/when we have a boy I'm glad I'm going to be in that hospital! I don't know if I'd wait, I'd want to do it and get it over with as soon as possible. Plus, since you'll be in the hospital anyway, they can watch it for a day or so until you're released in case there's any complications.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Both of my boys had it done before we left the hospital. My oldest was a preemie, he had it done when he was 17 days old, the night before he left the hospital. My other son was three days old. They did it the morning before we were discharged. I haven't heard of anyone having to wait. I suppose that hospitals have different policies about it. The procedure didn't take long at all. With second he was back in the room within a half hour or so. He had the "ring" version done. We just waited for it to fall off. My oldest, was cut. We just piled vaseline on it every day for awhile. They use a numbing anestesia in the area and the hospital also gave us tylenol to give them.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have two boys and the first one was done at the hospital and the second one was done about a week after he was born. It is cheaper to have it done in the dr. office because the hospital charges you a fee and then the dr. charges you something also. It was about $100 cheaper for us to have it done at the dr. office.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son had it done at two days old. They used a numbing cream, it doesnt take long at all. I think total my son was out of the room for maybe an hour at most.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• thanks...i just remember last year i took my daughter in to have her tonsils removed and there was a couple in there. they were waiting on their son to be circumcised and i think they said he was 3 months old b/c their hospital wouldn't do it right away. i never thought to ask b/c i wasn't preg at the time. and now i'm worried it was probably that hospital (its a military hospital there isn't much choice as to where you can go to give birth when it comes to the military if theres a military hospital) i don't want to have to bring him back at 3 months and stay overnight to make sure hes ok. i want it done then and there.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• well since its military there is no cost for us with the insurance we have. so i'm not worried about that aspect
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• When we had our son they did it the next day after he was born. If you are going to do it the earlier the better. He wont be in pain the next day. He may cry but by the time he comes back to you he wont even remember.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my son is 3 weeks old today and they did his the day after he was born. They numbed up the area and gave him tylenol for pain as well. He was out of the room for about a half hour all total and that was weight check and regular doctor exam as well. When he came back he wasn't crying or drugged but he had a slight angry face, but he still makes that angry face when he's done nursing. We had to glob vaseline on it for a few days and with having it done in the hospital, the nurses changed the first few diapers where it looked the worst and they showed us what to do to take care of it as well.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• thats why i'm worried i don't want to make him have to go through it later. at least if its the next day he's still younger and won't remember it as much. were as if he's older then well that just seems mean
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2009